Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Artists

Guys,

I know this is a long shot but promised my wife's Grandfather I would do this.

During WWII, my wife's Grandfather helped run a POW camp in France (somewhere near Metz). While there, he said had about 300,000 POW's. Because of this, there were a great many skilled POW's in the crowd.

My wife's Grandfather didn't smoke so he traded his smokes for camp painted artwork, hand carved items (he was always amazed as to how they found the tools to do the carvings..ie, knives, etc), and other things.

Three men were in this camp and produced about 50 paintings for him all done on tent canvas (many are quite good). They artists are the following:

* Wolfgang Rapp (we know this man was a Prof. at Heidleburg University)
    * Eric Flossdorf
    * Herbert Geyer

Is there any way to find out more about these guys? Like I said, I know it's a very long shot, but promised him I would try.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
    Larry

Hello Larry

I searched google for the names, you probably did that already, I got a hit for Wolfgang, am going to try and see his work, thats pretty interesting that you can find some info on him

the other two, might not yield any results, could maybe contact a German Auction house to see if any work has been previously?

but none the less, they sound very interesting,

I will see if I can find out anything

Cheers

John

Comment

Hello Larry

the is a German artist dictionary with more than 45 vols (Thieme(Becker).
      I tried all three persons and could not find them. So we could say that they are not among the well known German artists after WWII.

Gerdan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X