Korvettenkapitan Karl Mattil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Korvettenkapitan Karl Mattil

On Axis History Forum I found a thread talking about the Korvettenkapitan Karl Mattil as chef of the 2. leichte Flak-Ausb. Abt. Wangerooge, from 9 12 1942 to 15 11 1944. The problèm is that I cant find this name On the "Rangliste der Deutschen Kriegsmarine" (1st September 1944)... Is somebody got information about that ...

Regards

That's because the rangliste only deals with regular officers and Mattil was a reserve officer
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks a lot Simon. Have please some other information about this officer ?

Regards

Christof

Comment

Mattil, Karl. (IV/16), born 12.2.1897 in Elmstein/Rheinpfalz; K . Kap. d. Reserve 1.4.42 Leichte Fla-Batterie. Brunsbuttelkoog-Schleuse, Batterie. Chef 8.39 - 11.42; 2. Leichte Fla. Ausbildung Abteilung., Kdr. 12.42 - 11.44; M. Insel Batl. 351, Kdr. 11.44 - ende. Entlassen 7.9.45 Source W. Lohmann and H. H. Hildebrand Die Deutsche Kriegsmarine 1939-45 Vol III

He also shows up in the 1937 Marine Offizier Verband list, with his address, date of birh and civil profession: Mattil, Karl, 12.2.97, Leut. Z See a. D (ausser Dienst, retired), Fabrikant, Kaiserstrasse 111, Lambrecht, Pfalz.

He doesnt show up in the DKiG lists or in the Marine Offizier Hilfe 1960 book which lists other reserve officers who survived the war. He probably passed away before 1960.

The contingent of reserve officers, which is very large in the Heer and Luftwaffe, and which is not listed in published Ranglisaten, represents only 10% of the total in the Kriegsmarine. This makes KM Ranglisten more complete sources than their Heer and Luftwaffe counterparts. As Dirk Richhardt has shown in his doctoral thesis which I cite frequently in my website, the Kriegsmarine took measures to disincentivate the careers of Offiziere der Reserve, with the result I have just mentioned. (Richhardt, p. 307-8)

Comment

Great and fast ! Thanks a lot and nice site !

Regards
          Last edited by christof; 10-02-2008, 12:02 PM.

Comment

The contingent of reserve officers, which is very large in the Heer and Luftwaffe, and which is not listed in published Ranglisaten, represents only 10% of the total in the Kriegsmarine
            That persentage quoted doesn't reflect what i see. For example, out of the first 200 officer KM DKiG holders alphabetically, including Kr.O and z.V, 63 are reserve officers or 31%.

Out of 516 officers and officials holding command positions on land in Norway in May 1945, 280 are Reserve officers or some 54%. In many cases, Marine artillerie and Marine Flak Artillerie have only reserve officers.

A quick flick through KM RKT also suggests a ratio higher than 10% as does the officer lists in Lohmann and Hildebrand
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X