Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interested in researching Helmut Linsser

Hey guys,

I'm sorry to have to ask for your help again, but if someone could assist me in researching this guy that would be most appreciated.

I don't know much about him, but this is what I do know:

His name was Helmut Linsser, he was born in Meiningen Germany 1920. I suspect he was in the Heer, but all I was told is he was in the Wehrmacht (but it was spelt "Veermack" ). He was awarded the EK1, SWB & GWB. Interestingly enough, after the war he was an Artist.

Any help is greatly appreciated as always.

When they were selling his paintings they made a bit of a timeline:
    A TRIBUTE TO GERMAN-EXPRESSIONIST HELMUT LINSSER (1920-2003)
    The paintings presented were made by a man who spent his life resolving mathematical and physical problems. He wanted to show how he viewed the world

Historical Outline

-1920 Born Meiningen Germany
    -1945 Studies mathematics and obtains employment in Geophysics
    -1956 First Oils
    -1961 Begins working in Gouache on advice of Frank Schaeffer (Fernand Leger's student)
    -1964 Development of the Linsser style while vacationing on the Island of Rhodes
    Here is a picture of his awards, from what I understand he was not very proud of participation in WW2 and he threw away most of his stuff.

I know it isn't much to go on, but if someone has any suggestions on where I could possibly search for his name it would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Rylan

Comment

Finding information on an Army (Heer) individual - see Post #2 in this thread:
      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=244248 and,
      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=266432 (Post #3 for reserve officers, NCOs and lower ranks).

Comment

Thanks Larry, I've been to that website before. But I am a bit confused, do I just send them an e-mail with my request for information? I read under the FAQ that they charge money for the search "In this context, it must be remembered that the search effort of the Federal Archives in principle be charged (about € 15 per half hour). "

Comment

I've never done it myself, but I understand you just send them the request. If they are willing to take a look and find anything, then they will contact you regarding the payment. Sometimes they won't help. Sometimes they don't charge. Usually they will quiz you about your relationship to the soldier. Often they will not help unless you are a relative.

Comment

I will second Larry's comments, the entire process is arbitrary and you, the client, are often left uniformed as to any decision.

Any assessment of fees is simply a hedge against their copy costs and will be applied at the completion of the research.

I expect that I have received a positive response to an inquiry less than 25% of the time. It is a research thread worth pursuing, especially in light of the low cost, but it is a time consuming and frustrating endeavor.

Good luck!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X