1./Flak-Regiment 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1./Flak-Regiment 22

My grandfather was an officer in the Luftwaffe during WWII. He was in a Flak artillery unit, 1./Flak-Regiment 22. I've been looking for information about his unit and/or his war record but have had very little success so far. I did manage to discover that he was awarded the German Cross (Deutsche Kreuz) in gold as a 1st Lt. on November 24th, 1941. Family oral history says it was for action against tanks with his flak batteries. He is no longer living, but his name was Rudolf Puttrich and he finished the war as a Major. He was stationed in Greece and Norway during the war and maybe Poland among other places as I recall. He ultimately was captured by the British or Americans, spent time as a POW and was released in 1947. I would be very grateful if someone knows or can find any info on him or his regiment. Thank you.

Darren

I have him in my data base but without more than a couple of entries:

PUTTRICH, Rudolf. (DKG). 24.11.41 awarded DKG, 1./Flak-Rgt. 22. 01.04.42 promo to Hptm. (advanced from 01.02.43). 16.08.44 appt Ia/IV. Flakkorps.

I./Flak-Rgt. 22 had a distinguished record on the central sector of the Eastern Front. Here are a few links for it:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...tillerieLW.htm
    http://www.ww2.dk/ground/flak/flargt22.html

At the time your grandfather was awarded the DKiG, I./Flak-Rgt. 22 was in the Tula - Mtsensk area, probably along the road that runs between those two towns. Of course, his award was probably for his participation during the months after the attack on the USSR on 22 June 1941.

It was one of the most esteemed and highest scoring Flak units of the war. If you need more information let me know and I can try and put something together for you tomorrow or the day after.

--Larry

Comment

I just came across this thread by chance and had to post these pictures. Yesterday I picked up a Flak overcoat and take a look at the unit it happens to be from. Weird! -Ron
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

If that is a I (and not 1) it means it was the Erste Bataillon.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Larry and others who have posted. Larry, your comment about where my grandfather likely was when he was award his DKG really brought history to life for me. Thank you. I checked the link with the details of his unit, and still wonder about the time he spent in Greece. I have photos of him in tropical uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by DFykke View Post
              Thanks Larry and others who have posted. Larry, your comment about where my grandfather likely was when he was award his DKG really brought history to life for me. Thank you. I checked the link with the details of his unit, and still wonder about the time he spent in Greece. I have photos of him in tropical uniform.

Luftwaffe officer assignments were generally for a year. I would guess your grandfather easily had 5 or more other postings that we do not yet know about, one of which evidently was with a Flak unit in Greece.

Have you tried to obtain photocopies of his Karteikarten u. Personalakten from the Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv in Freiburg im Breisgau? As a grandson, you are entitled to these.

Comment

I wasn't aware of the Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv in Freiburg. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X