Panzer Grenadier Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer Grenadier Questions

1. So it is my understanding that Panzer Grenadiers in armored half-tracks would attack a Russian town in advance to clear it of anti-tank guns and the like making the town “safer” for the tank attack. Is this correct?

2. Did the tanks ever attack the towns before the half-track squadrons?

3. When I see photos of the Panzer Grenadiers riding on the tank decks into the towns are they on mop up duty usually?

4. The Panzer Grenadiers that I see riding on the panzers, did they always ride on the tank decks or did they come from the half-tracks or other troop transports. I don’t understand what those troops are and how they fit into the Grenadiers troop organization.

5. last but not least did an artillery barrage precede an advance armored half-track
    town attack?

Thanks in advance for any clarity on the matter.

Hello

1) Panzergrenadiere would never attack a town within their half-tracks when they know that there are AT-weapons defending it. If half tracks were used in direct fighting the commander had to be sure that the terrain and the defending force was "suitable" for such a attack. Usually the half tracks were used to push into gaps broken by "foot soldiers" to pursue the enemy or widen the breakthrough. Attacking a town with fully loaded half tracks would be utter nonsense.

2) As explained above usually tanks when attacking town defenses were protected by infantry which were their eyes and ears.

3) Cross country transport and transport vehicles per se were never enough. Most Panzergrenadiere in units involved in a long period fighting were "foot soldiers". There was always a lack of half tracks and trucks. Riding on tanks was officially forbidden but was necessary in situations. The soldiers would never attack on a tank... one salvo would take out the entire group... Riding on tanks was used to push through secured terrain, follow withdrawing enemy or simply transport soldiers through rough terrain.

4) See 3

5) Artillery preparation fire was always a desired start of a attack... too often artillery was not available or out of ammo.

/Christoph

Comment

good answer Christoph, i agree entirely.
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

They also were one of the last ones you would want to meet on the battlefield. ( With all respect given to other units of the axis.) (Quote) Oh jeez Harry not them Panzergreniders again! Jerry R.

Comment

thanks for the answer, Christoph. So they used a lot of trucks as well to transport the Panzergrenadieres. Did they always precede the panzers in towns and in forests and stuff like that? Also, would a Panzergrenadiere dig in like regular infantry or would they always be on the move?

Comment

Hello Gray

There was absolutely no difference between a Panzergrenadier and a Schütze in a Schützenkompanie. The only difference was that the one was drafted into a motorized unit and the other not. Faster as they believed they had to walk on their own feet.

It was always desired to protect tanks with infantry. But of course sometimes tanks had to attack alone... in many cases with a bad result. Attacking into a forest or town without infantry protection was for sure a bad mistake and a seldom exception from the rule.
            Of course Panzergrenadiere also dug in. No unit was constantly on the move.. and as you know from some time on the german forces were on the move back and had of course to dig in.. every night, every day for defense.

\Christoph

Comment

Hello

Panzergrenadiers uses their SdKfz as a transport carrier that gives them protection against Mortar an arty splinters (smithers ??).

There where the term of "Anmarsch" to the "Bereitstellungsraum". This will be done by SdKfz. Than the "Annäherung" began. (going by foot to the position with last cover against enemy sight.) Than "sturm und Einbruch" (attack) began. (running into the trenches or something like this)
              Than "kampf durch die Tiefe" (fighting through the trenches.

After that "verfolgung" began. (besetment, prosecution)

This words in "" are german military terms.

I don`t know the right english words for that, so that I have to explain it with my own small school english.

The Tanks uses the Panzergrenadiers in front of the tanks as a defend against enemy antitank close combat teams.
              The Panzergrenadiers uses the tanks behind them (or in the flanks) as a protection against enemy tanks and enemy antitank guns.

There was a form of an attack sitting on tanks or on SdKfz, called raid, but this form of attack was very seldom and needs a lot of surprise moments.

In germany there were the to terms of attacking:

- aufgesessen (mounted) on cars, tanks, etc.
              - abgesessen (dismounted) by foot

At last:

Not all Panzergrenadier regimenter has armoured vehicles like SdKfz 251. Often only one bataillon in a Panzergrenadier regiment has SdKfz. The other bataillons have to use normal trucks (lorries)

In late war Panzergrenadier sometimes only was a word for Infanterie. The have the name Panzergrenadier, but were equipted like normal Grenadiers.

Best regards, Fronti

Comment

Here on my site you see the organisation of a Panzergrenadierkompanie which migt surprise you..
                http://chrito.users1.50megs.com/kstn...114b1nov44.htm

\Christoph

Comment

thanks everyone, i certainly have a clearer picture now.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X