Help needed in researching my grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed in researching my grandfather

Hello, can anyone give me any ideas on where I can start looking for information about my Grandfather (who I never met). I'm in Melbourne, Australia, but my Grandfather, August Theodor Proger, was born (1897) and died (1989) in Germany. He served in both WW1 and WW2. I would like to find out which units he was in, where he served, and what medals/awards he received. My father remembers his dad having a cigar box full of medals, which his mother sold sometime after the war. Is there a record of these things somewhere, and are they accessible over the internet?

As a grandson, you are entitled to receive any available information. I assume your Opa was not an officer. If this is the case you should write to the Deutsche Dienstelle (WASt) and just provide all the info you can on him, stating that you are his grandson.

http://www.dd-wast.de/ click on English version if you dont read german, then on left panel on "Tracing request"

The most useful information you can provide to them is his full name and date and place of birth

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X