Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gebirgsjäger-regiment 136

Hello,

Is there anybody who can tell me more about this regiment, the standard information from Lexikon-der-wehrmacht etc. I already found, but is there anybody that knows exact places from this regiment?

I've got a lot of 170 feldpostletters, of one guy, of him sending letters to his home, letters from home to him, and letters from other soldiers to and from him.

There is also an interesting message of his Leutnant, wishing him the best recover and make it full back to the compagny.

I already know that he was in Norway, and later in Lapland, anybody knows some exact placesof this regiment?

Thanks!

The other moderator for this forum, Simon Orchard, specializes in Gebirgstruppen in Finnish Lapland and northern Norway. I am sure he will respond as soon as he sees your post.

Comment

There is one book on the parent unit that will give more locational information:

Es war ein Edelweiß - Schicksal und Weg der 2. Gebirgs-Division

By M. Kräutler and Karl Springenschmid. Published by the Leopold Stocker Verlag, Graz-Stuttgart. 1964 I think.

Sorry, I looked published in 1962. You should be able to find it fairly easily.
      Last edited by Johnny R; 07-10-2008, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Also see:

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=1045

Comment

Thanks so far!

I'm still waiting for an reaction of Simon Orchard, hopeful he has some good details.

Dennis

Comment

We haven't seen Simon for a few days and it's possible he might be on holiday. If that's the case, and you can't get the German language divisional history, then here is you next best choice:

Ziemke, Earl F. The German Northern Theater of Operations 1940-1945. Dept. of the Army Pamphlet No. 20-271. WashDC: GPO, 1959. Hb. 342p. Illus. Maps. Footnotes. Appendices. Bibliographical note. Glossary. Index.

This comprehensive military study of the war in Lapland and northern Norway is excellent and covers the 2. Gebirgsdivision in considerable detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry deZeng View Post
              We haven't seen Simon for a few days and it's possible he might be on holiday. If that's the case, and you can't get the German language divisional history, then here is you next best choice:

Ziemke, Earl F. The German Northern Theater of Operations 1940-1945. Dept. of the Army Pamphlet No. 20-271. WashDC: GPO, 1959. Hb. 342p. Illus. Maps. Footnotes. Appendices. Bibliographical note. Glossary. Index.

This comprehensive military study of the war in Lapland and northern Norway is excellent and covers the 2. Gebirgsdivision in considerable detail.

Thanks!

I will look for that book!

Comment

i'm away until monday and can answer a little more fully then. To me exact means more or less down to the nearest couple of hundred meters. that i can do partially but first of all we need to know which kompanie he was in. a regiment could be spread over a wide area.
                also roughly when was he wounded? was it the summer or early autumn of 41?
                Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon orchard View Post
                  i'm away until monday and can answer a little more fully then. To me exact means more or less down to the nearest couple of hundred meters. that i can do partially but first of all we need to know which kompanie he was in. a regiment could be spread over a wide area.
                  also roughly when was he wounded? was it the summer or early autumn of 41?

Hello,

Here some more information,

His Feldpostnummer was 31666b:

(28.4.1940-19.9.1940) Stab III u. 11.-15. Kompanie Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 136

after a look on Lexikon-der-Wehrmacht.de I found out he was in this Kompanie:
                  11. Kompanie 33461 11. Kompanie 31666 B

He was wounded in 1943, the letter from his Leutnant is from 20.3.1943
                  It was signed with Lehen, Pehen, something like that.

Most letter are from 1941 and 1943, a few of 1942, but not any of 1944.

Thanks!

Comment

Hello Dennis,
                    I posted the details of a Soldbuch to a member of GJR136 a while back. He served in 1938-42 with the unit. There is some interesting details and comments in that thread if you want to have a look.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=186119&page=2

Regards,
                    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Andy F-P View Post
                      Hello Dennis,
                      I posted the details of a Soldbuch to a member of GJR136 a while back. He served in 1938-42 with the unit. There is some interesting details and comments in that thread if you want to have a look.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=186119&page=2

Regards,
                      Andy

Thanks Andy,

found some information, but still waiting for Simons answer, hopeful he has some interesting answers for me!

Thanks again!

Comment

Dennisb -

Be assured that Simon and I are working hard to get you the information. We get paid 100,00 Euro an hour for our research time, so we won't let you down!

But seriously, go to this link and follow the instructions in Post #2. Scroll down and you will find the 2. Gebirgsdivision. It should answer all your questions as to exact locations for Geb.Rgt. 136 and what it was doing , and for a measly 5,60 Euro you can't go wrong. Give it a try.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=300197

Come on man, you gotta do some of this yourself!

--Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry deZeng View Post
                          Dennisb -

Be assured that Simon and I are working hard to get you the information. We get paid 100,00 Euro an hour for our research time, so we won't let you down!

But seriously, go to this link and follow the instructions in Post #2. Scroll down and you will find the 2. Gebirgsdivision. It should answer all your questions as to exact locations for Geb.Rgt. 136 and what it was doing , and for a measly 5,60 Euro you can't go wrong. Give it a try.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=300197

Come on man, you gotta do some of this yourself!

--Larry

Ofcourse I want to, but couldn't find any good sites, but thanks for that site, hopeful it will help me out!

Thanks!

Comment

It depends how much time, effort and money you want to put into this but you should be able to reconstruct pretty much the whole of the 11 Kompanie's movements and combat actions through a mix of the records of the 2 Gebirgs Division and it's parent XIX Gebirgs Korps, both formations have pretty complete war diary records available via NARA (see the pinned thread in this forum). I've gone through most of the above myself and recall detailed morning and evening reports along with maps so with a bit of luck you may even find details of his wounding.

The focus of my own research so far has concentrated on the 44\45 period which is why i don't have copies of the above myself, though thankfully the local university has them on microfilm.

If you invest in copies of 'Winterschlacht im Mai' and 'Gebirgsjäger vor Murmansk' you'll find detailed accounts and maps of the battles the 11 Kp. and it's parent III Btl. were involved in during the second half of 1941 and the first half of 1942. After that you'll need to hit the archives as mentioned above.

Basically other than the Soviet attacks of Apr.\May '42 the Korps was deployed in static positions from Oct.41 until Oct.44, the 2 GD was given the task of securing the Southern and South Eastern flank of the Litsa front. This it did by creating fortified bases rather than having a contuious line. GJR 136 was assigned an area South East of Luostari
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luostari

with its battalions and companies rotating through periods at the front with periods in the rear on other duties.

One interesting fact about the III Btl. is that during the autumn of 1943 it was one of a handful of units chosen to field trial a proposed new uniform scale of issue based on the field grey sturmartillerie uniform.
                            Here's a photo of men from the battalion taken around that time.
                            Attached Files
                            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X