Kommadeur of Fliegerhorst Prenzlau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kommadeur of Fliegerhorst Prenzlau

I have been trying to identify a Hauptmann who left Fliegerhorstkommandantur Prenzlau sometime between 1935 and early 1937, who may have been a DLV officer and who also may have been the Kommandeur of the airfield. On his departure to his next post the men and NCOs made a presentation to him with the text: "Dem scheidenden Hauptmann von dem Unteroffizieren und Mannschaften der Fliegerhorstkommandantur Prenzlau" To the departing Hauptmann, from the NCOs and men of FHK Prenzlau. My guess is that if he wasnt the commander of the airfield, the NCOs and men would have specified their unit within the airfield. Could be wrong of course.

A fellow at Axis History has helped me with the following info

---
    I have located one commander from 1 October 1936 to 31 July 1937 Günther Korten was Kommandeur Aufl.Gr. 122 and also Fliegerhorst-Kammandant Prenzlau. His rank at this time is not given but a guess is that he was a Lieutenant-Colonel or Colonel. He was killed in the failed attempt on Hitler's life 22 July 1944 as Chief of Staff of the Luftwaffe.
    ----

Perhaps someone can confirm what his rank was WHILE he held the post of Kommandeur at Prenzlau? Any chance of identifying the previous commander? I will try my luck with my contacts at BA-MA too.
    Last edited by tenoriodj; 03-18-2008, 03:44 AM.

I recently gave this information by PM to someone over on Axis History Forum, but here it is again:

Prenzlau (GER) (45 km WSW of Stettin (Szczecin) in Brandenburg)
    Luftwaffe Fliegerhorstkommandantur by 1 July 1934.
    Kommandant:
    Maj. Richard Putzier (1 Jul 34 - 1 Jan 36)
    Maj. Otto Abernetty (1 Jan 36 - 11 Mar 36)
    Obstlt. Günther Korten (1 Oct 36 - 31 Jul 37)
    Obstlt. Gotthardt Kapuste (1 Aug 37 - 31 Jul 38)
    Obstlt. Herbert Schröder (1 Aug 38 - 31 Oct 38)
    Obstlt. Gotthardt Kapuste (1 Nov 38 - 13 Nov 39)
    Oberst Philipp Neufang (May 43 - Mar 44)
    See: Fl.H.Kdtr. A(o) 4/III.

Other officers at Prenzlau between 1935 and 1937 who might have been the missing Horstkommandant between 12 March and 30 September 1936, with Krahmer being the most likely:

Oblt. Franz von Benda
    Maj. Hans von Fichte
    *Maj. Eckard Krahmer
    Hptm. Werner Kreipe
    Hptm. Loytved-Hardegg
    Maj. Heinrich Rauch

As for the Deutscher Luftsportverband e.V., I have never seen anything that would suggest one of its officers commanded an active Luftwaffe Fliegerhorst during the 1935-37 time period.

--Larry

Comment

Hauptmann

Sorry for digging up yet another old dead thread, but I saw this same presentation to "Dem scheidenden Hauptmann von dem Unteroffizieren und Mannschaften der Fliegerhorstkommandantur Prenzlau".

Am I correct in understanding that this inscription specifically refers to a Hauptmann (Captain) and therefore cannot be referring to the actual Commander of the Air Base? From the info presented here, the Commander was always a Major, Obstlt. (Lieutenant Colonel) or Oberst (Colonel). I'm guessing that an Air Field/Base like Prenzlau would have had quite a few Hauptmanns assigned to it?

It's referred to as being given to "a retiring commander", but does "scheidenden" really mean retiring, or does it just mean departing/transferring?

Comment

"scheidend" means "departing or transferring" - may be sent to an other Fliegerhorst e.g. - not retiring.

Ger´dan

Comment

poor translation

That's what I figured, the seller is either misrepresenting the inscription to make it more desirable or just doing a lousy job of translating it. There could have been any number of Hauptmanns stationed there; I have to imagine trying to find a particular one who transferred from that base during a presumed 2 year time period would be rather difficult if not impossible to figure out.

Does anyone even have personnel lists that include Hauptmanns from that time period, so we'd at least have a potential list of candidates from Prenzlau? I don't really know how extensive the resources are that people here have available. I saw that at least two are known (Hptm. Werner Kreipe, Hptm. Loytved-Hardegg) but I'm assuming there must have been others?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X