General ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General ID

Would anyone happen to have any info on, General Leutnant Hermann Starke?? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    James

Focussing on what, specifically?

He was born in Weida, Thguringia 28 May 1881, and was alive in Berlin in 1956. Joined the army 15 March 1899 (field artillery) and retired 30 September 1932 as Generalmajor (1.3.32): his Imperial and Reichsheer ranks and awards are known, but are you only interested in WW2?

Called out of retirement for WW2 as char. Generalleutnant with seniority of 7 November 1938, switched to Genlt zV 1.6.41.

He served as a Section Chief in the War-Sciences Department of the General Staff 1 September 1939 to 7 January 1943, and was put on the final retirement list 31 August 1944.

Comment

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply, and the info. I was interested in his WW2 record (but anything else would be a bonus), as I was unble to locate his name in my reference material. I'm in the process of purchasing one of his tunics, and wanted some background on this individual. I understand that he was a DK winner, but I have no knowledge as to what position he held, or what other awards he had.

Thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated!

Cheers,
      James
      Last edited by JAMES.M; 07-27-2003, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Starke did NOT receive either German Cross.

Leutnant 20.11.00/31.1.00.1 in Feldart Rgt 17
        Oberleutnant 18.10.09 L42l in Feldart Rgt 69 and to General Staff
        Hauptmann 18.10.13 G3g in General Staff
        Major 18.5.18 #5 (final Reichsheer seniority) Reichswehr Ministry Training Section (T4) 1923, Staff of Art Rgt 3 '24
        Oberstleutnant 1.1.25 Deputy CO Fotress Königsberg '28
        Oberst 1.2.29 Chief of Artillery Wehrkreis I 1.10.31 to retirement

WW1 awards (none pre-war)

EK1 & 2
        Prussian Hohenzollern House Order 3 with Swords gazetted 19.4.17 (so awarded months to weeks earlier)
        Bavarian Military Merit Order 4 with Swords (not on published rolls)
        Baden Order of Zähringen Lion-Knight 2nd Class with oakleaves and Swords 9 February 1917 as "on General Staff of an Infantry Division"
        Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach Order of the White Falcon-Knight 2nd with Swords (596 awarded WW1)
        Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach Wilhelmskreuz (362 awarded WW1)
        Prussian XXV Years Service Cross.

Comment

HMMMMM!

Was there any other award that he might have been able to wear on his right breast pocket?? The photos of the tunic that I have, show that there is a set of loops on the right breast pocket, as well as three sets of loops on the left breast pocket! This is curious!!

Cheers,
          James

Comment

Not that shows in a Rank List. He didn't get the WW1 Turkish War Medal, which was also worn over there, nor was he on active duty during the Spanish Civil War for a Spanish Cross.

He should have loops for a nine (or more, if he bothered with the Central Powers WW1 Commemorative medals-- unlikely, since he only had German awards) ribbon bar. Three pinbacks would be his EK1, Wilhelmskreuz, and a Ww2 KVK1X, presumably. He was a "classroom" sort in WW2.

Comment

Classroom type, eh! Didn't they issue DK in silver for Sex Ed. That's got me stumped, I wonder what the loops could be for??

Thanks again Rick, for the info! It's nice to have a Bio on an individual, even though he wasn't an Audy Murphy type!

Cheers,
              James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X