Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for details on Generalmajor Hasso von Wedel

Hi all,

I'm looking for biographical details on Generalmajor Hasso von Wedel, commander of the OKW's propaganda department (Abteilung Wehrmachtpropaganda), which was part of the Wehrmachtführungsstab. Wedel is rather noted as an editor of 'Deutschland im Kampf' and some of the Raumbildalben, or stereoview books. He is also known for having spearheaded the launch of Signal, the Wehrmacht's foreign propaganda magazine. The responsible unit within the WFSt was WPr IV, the Wehrmacht's foreign propaganda division.

I'd also like to know if there's any connection to the WWI fighter pilot by the same name, who was awarded the PLM in 1917.

I believe the attached picture to be a photo of von Wedel, however I'm not entirely sure. If you have any other photos I'd be much obliged.

Any information you may have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alexander
    Attached Files

Alexander: I don't know what he looked like, and even if I could see the ribbon bar, his WW1 awards were quite common, so that wouldn't help any to verify the photo as him.

From the "Heldengedenkmappe" of WW1 German Noble War Dead, Hasso von Wedel (Junior), who was the WW2 Generalmajor, was the son of Generalleutnant aD Hasso von Wedel (Senior) and Doris von der Mülbe.

The Wehrmacht general had an older brother Lupold (yes, that is the correct spelling), killed in action 1914, an older sister Irmgarde who was left as war widow von Zastrow, and they had a baby brother Friedrich Karl too young for WW1.

Any other von Wedels were cousins, not siblings. Rick

Comment

Rick,

Thanks for sharing those details! 'My' von Wedel has been characterized as a "colorless administration man" in one account I've come across, and I guess there really isn't too much information about him out there. I'm mostly curious as a collector and researcher of Signal magazine, von Wedel spearheaded the magazine's launch and was involved in the initial talks between the OKW and the publisher. Kind of trying to establish if he was involved any further than that.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X