Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cossack POW's On The Isle Of Wight

Hi Everybody,

I'm planning to write a small article (hopefully for publication) about the Cossacks that were imprisoned on the Isle Of Wight following the end of the war, only to be executed for treason upon their return to 'Mother Russia'.

As I understand it, a POW camp, was set up near Parkhurst Prison(on the IOW) to hold them.

I'm going to contact IOW Public Records, over the next few days, but in the meantime, wondered if anyone on the forum could tell me anything about these men or give me any clues as to how I might research them more fully.

I've tried searching the web but to no avail.

Thanks for your time.

All the best,
    Toby.

Hello Toby, there was a book published in the UK awhile ago concerning the repatriation of Cossacks by the British after WW2. I have not read it, so I don't know if it concerns itself with the Isle of Wight. It is called "The Minister and the Massacres", and it was written by the grandson of Leo Tolstoy. Lots of controversy there.Cheers, CB.

Comment

Hi Toby
      Well i never knew that some of the Cossacks were held on the Island!
      I suppose i'd be stating the obvious if i mentioned going through the County Press archives for anything? Tried talking to any locals? even putting in a notice in the CP?
      Had any died might they still be buried on the island? Parkhurst military cemetery perhaps (i know that one's a long shot).

You might also want to try and dig up a copy of "Aftermath of War 1945, Everone must go home" by Sir Carol Mather published in 1992 by Brassey's (i actually picked up a copy of this book in Yarmouth...coincidence?)

Let us know how you get on. I'd be very interested to know more!

Regards

Simon
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Chris and Simon,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

@Chris - thanks for pointing out Tolstoy's book - I've since found quite a bit on the web about this.

@Simon - as it happens, I'm planning to put an advert in the County Press, asking if anyone has any recollections / experiences / photos etc. I know Graham knows something about what happened, so maybe he can give me some more info.

Archives and public records are another thing I'm going to target soon.

As for deaths on the island, you'd think there might be some who didn't leave the island, so I'll have to look into that.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again to you both.
        All the best,
        Toby.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X