Scharnhorst.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scharnhorst.

I have just received this photo of a sailor who was on Schanrhorst in September 1940 , it came to me in attached to a framed cap tally and photo of the ship - the youngman has just been awarded the EK 2nd Class , Matronsen with a marksmans laynard.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what section of the Bundesarchiv to approach to seek a crew list for Scharnhorst at this time ?
    Or can anyone translate the script on the reverse of the photo , advice and help would be appreciated.

Would just like to be bale to pout a name to the face , I can't help but wonder if the lad was lucky enough to make it home in 1945 - I do hope so.

The workings of the German archives in respect of records is not fully known to me - getting a name for the lad would be a first step.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by behblc; 01-31-2008, 06:23 AM.

The script / note on the reverse of the photograph.
    Attached Files

Comment

Pencil inscription from reverse of ships photo

This note was on the reverse of the photo of the ship.
      Any help in tyranslation would be much appreciated.
      thanks in advance.
      Attached Files

Comment

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what section of the Bundesarchiv to approach to seek a crew list for Scharnhorst at this time ?
        Do you have this fellow's name? If not, how will you identify him if by chance a ship's roster for Scharnhorst for September 1940 did manage to survive the ravages of war?

The WW II military records are at the Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv in Freiburg im Breisgau. I don't know if they have a separate formal section for KM documents, but if they do it would be called Referat Kriegsmarine.

--Larry

Comment

" In memory of your Ernst" is the inscription.

Comment

Agree with Larry, you need more info.

In my experience KM requests are channelled to WASt Berlin. BA-MA will deal with Luft & Heer officer records, WASt with KM and NCO/and soldiers/airmen/sailors of the 3 branches.

Unfortunately as we have discussed here many times, its tough to receive their blessing, and they will provide you with info only when they feel, at their own discretion, that you / your project is "legitimate". Right off the bat, militaria collecting does not qualify Best approach is to come across as academic and historically oriented as possible.

Did you already exhaust Google on crew lists etc? More info than we think is freely available if you know how to search...

Comment

Larry not being able to read the script I am hoping that a name , if even in part might be on it , if not as you say it is a cul de sac.
              I have previously obtained Luftwaffe records from the Bundesarchiv and always found the staff there to be very helpful - there is probably a seperate section dealing with the Kgm. matters.
              Thank you you Pauke for the translation I can make nothing of the script.
              Ernst is a start , a signal man , his rank ,Christian name and a date he was on the ship.
              ( Probably a hundred gents called Ernst on board ).
              Last edited by behblc; 01-31-2008, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Tenoriodj have not done the Google thing yet , as I said the script I can't even read - and any hope would rest in at least part of name being there .
                When I have time this evening I will bash google to death and see what pops out.
                The Berlin Office does not sound unlike some of the gents who used to inhabit the Air Historical Branch of the MOD in the 1980's.

Comment

Here's a couple of links that might get you started. The first is the list of survivors and second those lost when sunk. Good luck.

Bob

http://www.scharnhorst-class.dk/scha...vors_list.html

http://www.uboatwaffe.net/crews/crews.cgi (on this one go to the "drop-down" under Named Vessel and select Scharnhorst, then hit Search By Ship Name)

Comment

I read Rübsamen
                    an the 2nd photo.

Rübsamen is a very common family name in Germany.

Gerdan

Comment

If the guys family name was Rübsamen - and his first name Ernst than you

will not find him listed of the Volksbund date base.

There is only one Ernst Rübsamen KIA but he was born 1911 - and he was KIA
                      26 June 1944 in Witebsk, Belorus.

Gerdan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X