DANZIG-LANGFUHR Waffen-SS cemetary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DANZIG-LANGFUHR Waffen-SS cemetary

My relative was buried in the Danzig-Langfuhr Waffen-SS cemetary in 1944 after dying from wounds received in battle.

Can anyone tell me exactly where Danzig-Langfuhr is and whether or not the cemetary still exists, and if not, where the bodies may have finally been moved to, if known?

Thanks,

Chuck

hi Chuck
    here two fotos from that cmentary,if you want more let me know
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Danzig-Langfuhr is a suburb located 2 km NW of the city. You do know that both Danzig and its suburbs became part of Poland in 1945 and no longer go by those names?

--Larry

Comment

Thank you both for the help. I especially appreciate the pictures and thought it must be a suburb of Danzig. I also knew that it reverted into Polish hands and was renamed after the war.

Regards,

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by vonStubben View Post
            ... it reverted into Polish hands and was renamed after the war.

Regards,

Chuck
            Hi Chuck,

just a quick correction (sorry) but Danzig never "reverted" back to Poland. It was never Polish to begin with. After WWI it was a Free City with Polish "protection" put upon it.

Best,
            Danziger

Comment

It was awarded to Poland at Yalta (Feb 45) along with West Prussia, most of Pomerania, Wartheland and Silesia to make up in part for all of eastern Poland cobbled up by Uncle Joe and his boys and then graciously ceded to him by F.D.R. Many people are still outraged today over these border changes of 1945. But to be fair and accurate, most objective history books do say that Gdansk (Danzig) was first mentioned in 10th Century manuscripts as being a Polish village. It wasn't taken over by the Teutonic Order until 1309. It changed hands a number of times until it was made a free city in 1919.

--Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry deZeng View Post
                It was awarded to Poland at Yalta (Feb 45) along with West Prussia, most of Pomerania, Wartheland and Silesia to make up in part for all of eastern Poland cobbled up by Uncle Joe and his boys and then graciously ceded to him by F.D.R. Many people are still outraged today over these border changes of 1945. But to be fair and accurate, most objective history books do say that Gdansk (Danzig) was first mentioned in 10th Century manuscripts as being a Polish village. It wasn't taken over by the Teutonic Order until 1309. It changed hands a number of times until it was made a free city in 1919.

--Larry

Hi Larry,

yes, and to be even more precise, it had been given to Poland by Stalin to "administer over" , however, it was, illegitimately, finally incorporated into Poland.

Comment

Originally posted by von Stubben
                  Can anyone tell me exactly where Danzig-Langfuhr is and whether or not the cemetary still exists, and if not, where the bodies may have finally been moved to, if known?
                  Danzig-Langfuhr, today known as Gdansk-Wrzeszcz, is in fact a suburb of Danzig/Gdansk. I know the place very well, because I live there There had been numerous cemeteries in Langfuhr before 1945, situated along the main road leading from the center of Danzig to Langfuhr, but all of them were liquidated after the war. It's a shameful story, but characteristic to every case when some land changes its owner... Today, a small symbolic "cemetery of unexisting cemeteries" exists and symbolises all these old small graveyards, which were brought down after 1945. But, fortunately to you, these were civilian cemeteries.

Let me note, that Besslein may have been wrong showing his photos. They are taken at some other cemetery in Gdansk - but definitely not in Wrzeszcz (Langfuhr). I can only think of one big cemetery which existed in Langfuhr and still exists there until today! It's the second main cemetery in Gdansk and is called Srebrzysko, placed at Srebrniki Str. Before 1945 its name was Zentralfriedhof "Silberhammer". This is a real Langfuhr cemetery, and what's even more important, I know of German soldiers buried there even in 1939 (casualties from the battle for Westerplatte, incl. SS-Heimwehr-Danzig), as well us during the whole war.

Search Google for "Danzig"+"Silberhammer" to find more info. I'm 99% sure it's the cemetery where your relative was buried. And it's open until today.

An old photo:
                  http://sabaoth.infoserve.pl/danzig-o...tours/l73.html

The satellite view:
                  http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=5...&t=h&z=15&om=0

btw.
                  Originally posted by Danziger
                  just a quick correction (sorry) but Danzig never "reverted" back to Poland. It was never Polish to begin with.
                  You'd better start learning history. Now.

Hope I helped you, von Stubben.

Best regards,
                  Michal
                  Last edited by beaviso; 01-26-2008, 04:56 AM.

Comment

In the lists of Wehrmacht personnel in Norway after the war ended, non-Germans are listed by nationality (iirc, their nationality as it was around 1938, before the flower wars). Danzigers are thus listed as such and neither Polish nor German.

How did the Western allies deal with their status when it was time to release them and send them somewhere? Were they asked where they wanted to go? Were they simply made German? Were they given the option of becoming Polish? Did any return home? Could they even do so?
                    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

german Military Cemetery Danzig

Has anyone got any more info on a German miitary cemetery in Danzig?

Are there any records surviving today?

Trying to trace a German soldier who died between 1932-1935 .

Any info would be of help,

regards

Jeanne

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X