• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LH Sch. Abt. Nord II Ink Stamp

I have a K98 pouch that is inked stamped to the inside of a lid:

LH

? Sch. Abt. Nord II

The "? mark is hard to read but could be an "8". The best I can come up with is this unit is Schuldivision Abteilung Nord II. Can anyone add more meaning to the unit stamp?

Also, what does "Schuldivision" mean?

Cheers
    Rich

Where do you get "division" from? Did you leave out something from the large font representation in bold?

If not, then "Abt." is Abteilung (a detachment of approximately battalion size). The abbreviation "Sch." can mean any of the following: Schütze, Schützen, Schiess, Schuss, Schallmess, Schein, Schule, Schalter, Schalt, Schutzpolizei, Scheune, Schaden, Schar, Schupo, Schrapnel, Schaumberg-Lippe. The ones in bold are the most likely ones.

So without more information, it will be difficult to come up with an answer. But I can assure you that it does not mean "Schuldivision Abteilung Nord II" because (1) the word "division" does not appear, and (2) the designation would make no sense.

--Larry

Comment

Larry - Thanks for the reply. All I have is the ink stamp. Perhaps I read too much into the "Sch." text, but I picked up "division" from this thread. I didn't realize "Sch." could have so many possibilities. Very interesting. Does "Nord" place the unit in Finland/Norway?

Rich

Comment

Not in this context i don't think so. I believe it refers to a part of this school designated as 'detachment North' which could be anywhere.

Are you sure of the 'LH' ? what about LN?

Larry, Do you know of any LW schools that were subdivided in this way?
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Rich wrote:
          Larry - Thanks for the reply. All I have is the ink stamp. Perhaps I read too much into the "Sch." text, but I picked up "division" from this thread. I didn't realize "Sch." could have so many possibilities. Very interesting. Does "Nord" place the unit in Finland/Norway?
          As German member FrankS noted in that 2005 thread you linked us to, the abbreviation "Div." is clearly there. But it isn't in your stamp. No "Div."

Here is what I think it is. First, I think the "LH" is wrong and it should read "LN" or "Ln" or "Ln." Check and see if that works. It could be that the stamping is off a bit or has rubbed off somewhat due to age. See if it can be interpreted as an "N" or "n" instead of an "H".

If that works, then I think the unit is LN (or Ln) Schalt-Abt. 2. Written out in full it's Luftnachrichten-Schalt-Abteilung 2. Although the word "Nord" does not appear in its designation, it most definitely was "north". It was responsible for mainframe circuit-switching junctions (hubs, nodes) for the Schleswig-Holstein area in North Germany with Stab (HQ) in Kiel. So, within the unit itself, they may have unofficially called it "Nord II". The Abteilung was mobilized with a Feldpostnummer in December 1944 (FpN 62038). Personally, I think it existed for a long time before that as "Ln.-Schalt-Abt. Nord II", but I cannot prove it. Anyway, it came directly under OKL (Oberkommando der Luftwaffe). These Schaltabteilungen were highly technical and had a mix of military (Luftwaffe, of course), Flieger-Ingenieure and civilians from Siemens and the DRP (Deutsches Reichspost).

--Larry

Comment

A question about the II. Is there a larger gap between the Nord and the II than there is between the other words and abbreviations? The reason being leather equipment was graded using roman numerals.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and information. Finally got around to taking some pictures of the ink stamp. Looks like LH to me. Any opinions?

Rich

Comment

That's 1.H.

Can you do a close up of the abbreviation before the Sch.?

Comment

Simon

I do believe you are right. It does help to have a second (or more) set of eyes. Here's the closeup:

Rich
                  Last edited by Stinch; 01-27-2008, 06:26 AM. Reason: Added image

Comment

Label inside one of the other lids:

Comment

The last one looks like "Gr."

--Larry

Comment

Hello,

it's an old thread, but here is the sollution: 1. Hundertschaft, Grenz Schutz Abteilung Nord. It means BGS....

Regards, EM

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X