Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAD combat division information

Hello,

I an looking for information regarding the 4 RAD divisions that were formed at the end of the war-I have the info from www.skalman.com and thats all i have been able to find regarding these formations-I was told there is a book by a vetran of one of the RAD divisions however its printed only in German and therefor not much of a help to me-does anyone know of any english language books/websites or an email address of a person who can help wih info regarding this topic?

regards Yancy

Hierl sanctioned the formation on 29.3.1945, 6 weeks before the end of the war, 4 RAD Infantry Divisions, each had some Army personnel & 7500 RAD members in one artillery & three infantry regiments. The 1st Schlageter Division fought Soviet troops at Waren with the 3d Panzer Army; the 2d Friedrich Ludwig Jahn Division & the 3d Theodor Körner Division served west of Berlin with the 12th Army. The 4th Division & the RAD Mountain Brigades "Steiermark" & "Enns" were formed-up but saw no action.

Comment

Hello Bob,

thanks for the information,there seems to be not much information available regarding the RAD, especially when it comes to the 4 combat divisions.

regards
      Yancy

Comment

RAD Division

Infanterie-Division Schlageter (1. RAD)

Formed unity 31.03.1945 as RAD (Reichsarbeitsdienst) Div. z.b. V. 1 on the Tr. Üb. Platz Munsterlager. Composed man of 299. ID and 7500 people of the RAD.

Composition:

Gren. Rgt. Schlageter 1 - 3 with I. 1 - 4 , II. 5 - 8 , 13 (Gran. Werf.), 14 (only Pz. Schreck)
        Füs. Btl. Schlageter 4 Kpn.
        Pz. Jg. Abt. Schlageter 1., 2. (Pz. Schreck), 3. (Fla-), 4. (Sturmgeschütz-)Kp.
        Art. Rgt. Schlageter, only II. , III. (each 2. Bttrn. with 3. le. FH) and IV. (2 Bttrn. with each 3 s. FH)
        Pi. Btl. Schlageter (3 Kpn.)
        Nachr. Abt. Schlageter (2 Kpn.)

During its forming, the division moved in the Ludwigslust's ( 12.04.1945 ) sector. 29.04.1945 the division is in the Waren's sector (3. Pz. Armee). But already 03.05.1945 in captivity (American).

Kdr. 31.03.1945 - 05.04.1945 Generalarbeitsführer Herzog (RAD-Aufstellung)
        05.04.1945 - 03.04.1945 Gen. Lt. Heun, Wilhelm

Ia - .04.1945 - 03.05.1945 Maj. Schreiber, Hellmuth
        IIA - .04.1945 - 03.05.1945 Maj. Schweisshelm

Infanterie-Division Friedrich Ludwig Jahn (2. RAD)

Formed unity 31.03.1945 as RAD (Reichsarbeitsdienst) Div. z.b. V. 2 on the Tr. Üb. Platz Jüterbog. Composed man of 251. ID and 7500 people of the RAD.

Composition:

Gren. Rgt. Friederich Ludwig Jahn 1 - 3 with each I. 1 - 4 , II. 5 - 8
        Div. Füs. Btl. Friederich Ludwig Jahn 4 Kpn.
        Art. Rgt. Friederich Ludwig Jahn with II. 4 - 6 , III. 7 - 9 , IV. 10 - 12
        Pi. Btl. Friederich Ludwig Jahn (3 Kpn.)

The division was engaged to the South of Berlin with 12. Armee. Near Ferchland in captivity (American), afterward handed to Russian.

Kdr. - .04.1945 - 23.04.1945 Oberst Klein, Gerhard
        25.04.1945 - - .05.1945 Oberst Weller
        03.05.1945 Oberst Zoeller

Ia Obstlt. Praetorius, Alexander
        IIA Hptm. Nottebaum

Infanterie-Division Theodor Körner (3. RAD)

Formed unity 04.04.1945 as RAD (Reichsarbeitsdienst) Div. z.b. V. 3 on the Tr. Üb. Platz Döberitz. Composed man of 251. ID and 7500 people of the RAD. Art. Rgt. Formed by the V. / Volksart. Korps 411

Composition:

Gren. Rgt. Theodor Körner 1 - 3 with I. 1 - 4 , II. 5 - 8
        Div. Füs. Btl. Theodor Körner (4 Kpn.)
        Pz. Jg. Abt. Theodor Körner
        Art. Rgt. Theodor Körner, only Stab and V. / 411
        Pi. Btl. Theodor Körner (3 Kpn.) resulting from the Pi. Ausb. Btl. 892
        Nachr. Kp.

Engaged on the Mulde against the Americans, then in the South of Berlin (Belzig, Beelitz) with 12. Armee against Russian troops. On the Elba in the Tangermünde's sector in captivity (American).

Kdr. 06.04.45 - - .05.1945 Gen. Lt. Frankewitz, Bruno

Ia Maj. Graevenitz, von
        IIA Hptm. Nietzer

With regard to the fourth division RAD, the order of forming was given 15.04.1945 but was not able to be executed.

You will find an image of the page 12 of a Wehrpass of a member of the division RAD Theodor Körner in Wehrpass, Soldbuch and Military IDs Forum.

Polux

Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

hello,

thank you Polux for this added information!!

regards Yancy

Comment

Hallo Yancy -

I was a member of the RAD-Division Schlageter and a prisoner in one of the American POW-camps in Mecklenburg. Can I help you?

Horst Matten

Comment

Hi Horst,

It is very nice to see you posting on the forum. I am sure that Yancy will be overjoyed and only to willing to have a chat with you. I have taken the liberty of sending him a private message so that he won't miss your post when he logs in.

Cheers,
              David.
              At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Hello Horst,

i am very pleased that you responded to my request for information!i have a million questions to ask you, i will send them via private message.

Comment

Originally posted by polux View Post
                  Infanterie-Division Theodor Körner (3. RAD)
                  [...]
                  Art. Rgt. Theodor Körner, only Stab and V. / 411
                  Hello

That`s not right !

We had several grounddug dogtags from II. Art Rgt Theodor Körner at the Elbe river.

There must be a II. Abteilung of the Artillerie Regiment TH.K., too.

Best regards, Fronti

Comment

Originally posted by Frontalschaden View Post
                    Hello

That`s not right !

We had several grounddug dogtags from II. Art Rgt Theodor Körner at the Elbe river.

There must be a II. Abteilung of the Artillerie Regiment TH.K., too.

Best regards, Fronti
                    Hello Fronti,
                    Can you post a photo of one here? or via PM/e-mail.
                    I would really appreciate it
                    I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
                    Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
                    My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Admiraal View Post
                      Hello Fronti,
                      Can you post a photo of one here? or via PM/e-mail.
                      I would really appreciate it
                      Hello

No problem.

Please send me your eMail Addi with PM.

Best regards, Fronti

Comment

Hi,
                        The RAD unit was certainly one of those handed over to the Russians, as
                        noted in Slaughter at Halbe. It seems a strange mix of units, common sense would have been to ask for Engineers for rebuilding work, or SS units they suspected of war crimes. Unless the Americans made the choice, to include womenbut of course
                        the events in regards to Russian behaviour, not generally being known.

This well known picture from Berlin, I think shows an RAD man?
                        Although it is in German, most of us can pick up the gist, it is all about the great
                        images in this interesting Elbe documentary. Several features in the early stages, destroying german equipment in place, in case the ground is re-taken. 2 soldiers
                        resting? face down and at 5.10, a G.I. with a liberated dagger swinging from his pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHkw...c&spfreload=10

Regards,
                        John.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X