Heinrich Paepcke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heinrich Paepcke

I’m looking for any information related to Heinrich Paepcke, Hauptmann and Gruppenkommandeur der II./KG 77, winner of the Knights Cross and the 154 winner of the Oakleaves of the Knights Cross.

H. Paepcke earned as Oberleutnant his RK as Staffelkapitän 7. Staffel III group Kampfgeschwader 30 on 5 September 1940. In Crete he was promoted to Hauptmann and Gruppenkommander of the II group Kampfgeschwader 77. He died on the 17 October 1942 at Malta when he collided with a Spitfire.

I’m looking for any information, documents, photographs or any other item which can be related to H.Paepcke or the Kampfgeschwader he served in.

The Kampfgeschwader he served in were the 7. Staffel of the Kampfgeschwader 30 when he won his RK as a Oberleutnant and the II group Kampfgeschwader 77 when he won his Oakleaves of the Knight Cross as Hauptmann.

Many thanks,
    Pascal

Please PM me or email me on Langemarck@pandora.be

Next try...

Next try..... Really nobody who can help me?

Pascal

Comment

Hello Pascal.
      The following information is from the 4-volume reference work by Peter Stockert on Oakleaves recipients :
      Heinrich Paepke was born on 11.Dec.1910 in Wattenscheid/Westphalia. He served in the merchant marine from 1929 to 1934 and entered the L.W. in 1935 as ensign. Promoted to Lt. in 1936, he assumed command of 7./K.G. 30 as Oblt. in early Apr. 1940. With this unit he distinguished himself in operations over Norway, France and England. After heavy action over Belgium, France and Holland, he sank a freighter of 10,000 Tons near Dunkirk and near Scheveningen an Anti Aircraft vessel. His unit sank one heavy and three light cruisers, three destroyers , one minelayer , a coastal guardship and five transport vessels. Five British fighterplanes were also downed during these actions. . As you know he received the K.C. on 5.Sep.1940. In Apr. 1941 he became commander of II./K.G.77 and was promoted to Hptm. , to be deployed around Crete , then returned to the Chanel Coast with K.G.30 with missions against Great Britain. Then recon missions over the North Sea to be followed by attacks against Murmansk. After that deployed against Malta in the Spring of 1942, attacking British convoys and sank another 12,000 ton freighter. Was also deployed over North Africa with attacks on Cairo, Alexandria and the Suez Canal. On 17.Oct. 1942 he collided with a British Spitfire and died. Posthumously awarded the Oakleaves on 19.Dec.1942 as Kdr.III./K.G.30 and also promoted to Major.
      Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

Thank you Bernard for your information.
        It is only sad that after trying to some research I don't even came up with a decent photograph of the man (and I don't mean the one which has been published in the Adler magazine).

Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Langemarck
          Thank you Bernard for your information.
          It is only sad that after trying to some research I don't even came up with a decent photograph of the man (and I don't mean the one which has been published in the Adler magazine).

Pascal
          Hello again Pascal.
          In addition to my earlier response here is some other interesting l information to your inquiry:
          Maj. H. Paepcke received the Honor Goblet with date of 21.Sep.1942;
          he flew approx. 630 missions ; his name was changed effective 7.Mar.1940 from "Paepke" ( as I spelled it mistakenly) to "Paepcke".
          This information comes from Franz Thomas " Die Eichenlaubtraeger 1940-1945"
          Both books mentioned have one picture each, I do not know which one is shown in the "Adler".
          I have no unit histories on the L.W. formations he served in because I am interested mainly in ground forces of Germany and therefore have only scanty source material on air and sea forces. However there are web sites specializing on L.W. units which should provide you with such information.

Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

Hi Berhard,

That is very interesting news!! Thank you. I already had a copy of Paepckes entry in “Die Eichenlaubtraeger 1940-1945” by Franz Thomas but in my copy there is no mentioning of an Honour Goblet or the amount of missions he has flown.

I would be very interested in a copy or a scan of that page. Maybe you (or someone else) could help me to a copy of that page. My email address is Langemarck@pandora.be

Many thanks,
            Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Langemarck
              Hi Berhard,

That is very interesting news!! Thank you. I already had a copy of Paepckes entry in “Die Eichenlaubtraeger 1940-1945” by Franz Thomas but in my copy there is no mentioning of an Honour Goblet or the amount of missions he has flown.

I would be very interested in a copy or a scan of that page. Maybe you (or someone else) could help me to a copy of that page. My email address is Langemarck@pandora.be

Many thanks,
              Pascal
              Hello Pascal.
              I was referring to the two volume Thomas reference book which was apparently updated and contains more information than the previous one volume (which I no longer have).
              Unfortunately I do not have the skills to send images via e-mail.
              Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

Hello Berhard,

That is indeed a shame but thank you anyway for taking the trouble and looking it up for me. You have indeed been very helpful to me.

Maybe someone else is (and will be) able to make a scan of Paepckes entry in Thomas reference book for me?

Thanks,
                Pascal

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X