Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only way i've found to do it so far is to create an account and log on. Then search for the publication number which would be T315e. That gives you the contents of all the rolls on that guide (number 63), if you then click 'continue to order' then you'll see all the rolls listed. Select the ones you want and click 'update quantites' . the rest should be easy enough to follow however i found nowhere i could specify that i wanted DVD?

As the various series of records, T312, T314 etc. are spread over several rolls in the guides, they've added a letter, like T315e or T312k.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Takk tusen Simon

Comment

NARA Research

Hi:

I visit NARA about every three months and have found the following information helpful.

At home:

First I identify the units that may contain the information I need.

Then, I research the NARA guides on Sturmpanzer and locate the rolls which include the units. I find the roll summaries for the dates I am interested in and then read every line.

I then list the rolls and I am ready for the trip.

NARA:

I skip read the relevant roils as the summaries are not always accurate. After I note which rolls actually contain the data I need, I go back to these rolls and usually scan at a slow rate for the specific pages I need.

When you find the pages with the information need, you have at least four choices: take notes, order the roll at 65.00 dollars (I pay 60.00?) if you can afford it, print the pages at .25 or 35 cents per page, or photograph the pages free. Printing a lot of pages is expensive. If you want to photograph the pages there are at least three problems. If you want quality copies most of the readers have a bright spot in the center which is not too desirable. The reader printers are much better but you end up with page markings, which are on the sceen, in your photo. If you bring your own reader (which I will do on my next trip) you need the appropriate camera equipment to get good copies that do not require extensive cropping.

If you are looking for other data formats in the captured documents area (aerial photographs, photos, maps, etc., it will require extensive research with guides that are not all located online and which are quite often rather cryptic. The staff is quite willing to help you, but many of them simply do not know where all the sources are located.

You will need to develop photographic procedures to copy the transparencies, large maps, and other sources that are subject to glare problems.

I hope this helps in acquiring the information you are looking for. All these steps may not apply to certain resources or requirements.

BTW, I have posted part of the Ribbentrop Photo Collection on my website. Some of the personalities are obvious, but some are not. If you are interested, take a look and let me know about the identities of persons in the photographs. All the photographs are numbered so you can refer to these numbers.

You can post, send me a message, or email. Thanks for the help

John

Comment

NARA Research

Sorry, I forgot the web site and my email.

www.wwii-photos-maps.com
          jcarlcalvin@gmail.com

Comment

Nara order error

I get error when press "Update quantities" I put 1 in the righ box of the microfilms I want. I'm doing something wrong

Thank you

Fernando
            <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=AppletButtons><TD vAlign=center noWrap></TD><TD class=AppletTitle> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comment

Keep in mind the guides have a few lines for a roll that has 800-1000 frames or more. I'd assume guides for Army units obviously cover where they say the unit is and list what KTBs are included (if relative). They are for Waffen-SS (T-354). In the case of the majority of other SS records (T-175), it's huge and often material unexpected is on a roll (and sadly some expected as far as amount or detail) is not. Ahhhh for the good old days when rolls were $15 and you could order a lot without breaking your wallet. Army records for divisions are generally more complete than those for Waffen-SS units that have gaps in many cases or very little at all for some divisions (and most Corps). The "Leibstandarte" material is extensive (especially early) and that for "Totenkopf" is good (no prewar related Deaths Head unit data in this group, see T-175). "Das Reich" suffers records wise from Russia to the end of the war, except for Regiment "Deutschland" that is covered into the initial Russian campaign. Later records for that division are sparse but some good material on the late 1943/1944 Kampfgruppe "Das Reich". No specific sub unit histories for 2SS elements Pz Jg Abt, Pz Rgt, Stug. Abt, Regt "Der Führer" but pre Russia campaigns are overall good for the division as a whole. The division's Flak Abt KTBs are the most numerically.

That's a quick overview for the 3 classic SS divisions. SS/VT data is sparse and what little there is can be found in T-175. A lot of the SD rolls are junk in the same group, many rolls are an odd mix of topics and periods throught T-175. For militaria collector reserch there are guides for the rools of groups such as the NSDAP, NSKK, Diplo records, etc. Hard to grasp the overall size of the WWII material until you start working with it. It's massive.

Mark

Comment

Hello gents,
                is the price fo one roll incl. shipping or not? Thanks.
                KR Mikhail

Comment

Hi Mikhail,

Yes, the price for each roll includes postage.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Hedrick View Post
                    Hi Mikhail,

Yes, the price for each roll includes postage.

Richard
                    Thanks for the info Richard

Mikhail

Comment

Folks, is NARA taking longer these days? I placed the order Jul 13 and it still shows as "servicing"

Comment

My last two orders were as follows, so you are probably getting close.

Online order: 06.19.2009 - received: 08.17.2009
                        Online order: 07.07.2009 - received: 08.17.2009

the first one eneded up being about 34 DVDs so i think that is why it took longer, the order was only 12 rolls but each averaged 3 DVDs. i think they are scanning in higher resolution than they were before or at least they did so for this set.

Hope that helps
                        Richard

Comment

In a lot of cases the copies of photos in the Bundesarchiv are considerably superior to those in the NARA. Some here are from negs, others are contacts, some are prints from prints.

The amount of images is hard to understand, some groups are dozens of volumes or numerous boxes.

To bad many have no ID for those unfamiliar, especially for numerous Army Generals, KC holders, political/civil personalitiesetc. Though most should know all those shown with some cropped on a website link within this thread.

Comment

naval personell records

where would one go to obtain records on a particular navy officer? or ships daily logs for a particualr u-boat on a specific cruise? the uboat survived the war and was used by the japanese(u219) thanks,,mike

Comment

Hi all,

Sorry for this "up" in that old post, but I have a question about how to order some rolls.
                              I made a personal list of 17 rolls (like T314-553, T315-399 to 405,...).

Is the asked price (135$ for an international sending) for EACH roll, or for a serie (an entiere DVD) ? My question is a bit naive, but I don't know why would they apply a shipping fee on each roll, when I order many of them...

Thanks in advance guys.

Comment

Hey,

the price is per roll. they will come in DVDs but there may be more than one DVD per roll if the roll has a lot of documents.

I suspect the shipping is just a logistical thing, instead of messing with the calculation of shipping charges they are built into the price of each roll. if it helps think of it this way, shipping is free as part of the $135 fee.

NARA has had QA issues but it does seem these are getting better. Also turn around time for an order is much improved. It seems my last order shipped the day after i placed the order.

I would check here, http://digitalhistoryarchive.com, before ordering from NARA as the quality and service is excellent and the prices are quite a bit more reasonable. they may not have what you want but if they do you will be glad you checked.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about ordering from NARA.

hope this helped,
                                Richard

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X