Seeking bio/info on Maj. Dornemann, 16 PzDiv., KG Dornemann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking bio/info on Maj. Dornemann, 16 PzDiv., KG Dornemann

Looking for career and fate of this officer, Russia, CO KG Dornemann at Salerno, Italian campaign. You can reply here or to: shivrme@hotmail.com

Jessee, apologies if you already know this but I've just had a skim through the 16. Pz Div history and spotted his name here and there:

Dörnemann was commander of K 16 (motorcycle battalion of 16. Pz Div.) in the summer of 1942 - he was awarded his DKiG on 8.10.1942 while in command of this unit. I have been unable to find out when he joined the battalion but he is not listed amongst the officers in the unit on 22nd June 1941. Nor is he listed as being amongst the officers on 8th July 1942 but he was certainly in command by 29th July 1942. -He was later severely wounded in Stalingrad and was flown out on was of the last planes to leave. During the fighting for Stalingrad he was in command of Btl Dörnemann based around the remnants of I/Pz Gren Regt 64.
    He rejoined the new 16. Panzer Division on 20th April 1943 after he had recovered from his wound (by now he was a Major) and took command of Pz Aufkl Abt 16. For his command of his KG at Salerno he awarded the KC on 28th November 1943.
    The next time he crops up is a scommander of Pz Gren Regt 64 in August 1944. He definitely was not one of this regiment's battalion commanders before this so he may have been on the staff or maybe still the AA commander?
    In January 1945 and now Oberstleutnant and commander of Pz Gren Regt 64 he was wounded in the retreat to the River Oder and replaced. He reappears (now an Oberst) in April 1945 for the final battles on the war and goes into captivity with Pz Gren Regt 64 on 8th May 1945.

Cheers,
    Gary.
    Last edited by Gary T; 04-15-2003, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Gary!!!

A Special Thank-You, Gary. I didn't have much info on this guy, so that was a great help. By the way, do you see much mention of Obltn. W. Brinkmann of 16 KradBtn in the Div. History? He was KIA 8 Dec. '42 at Stalingrad, supposedly by a shell hit on his bunker. I believe a Gefr. E. Moses was killed with him.

Thanks again,

Jessee

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X