Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alsatians in the Wehrmacht

Hello Everybody-

I have been having a hard time answering a question, maybe someone knows...

When the Germans re-annexed Alsace-Lorraine, I understand that all able military age Alsatians and Lorrainers had to join the Wehrmacht. Let's say if I were of military age living in Alsace somewhere and I just served in the French armed forces and made it back home way or another, would I have to now turn around and serve in the Wehrmacht?

Were there exceptions?

thanks.

-Gray

A lot people became 'instant Germans' when Germany expanded it's borders. Alsatians, Poles, Czechs all sorts. Yes, if your were alsatian, had been in the French army in 1940 you could very well have found yourself being drafted into the wehrmacht.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

"Instant" Germans?

blabla
      Last edited by SvenWittnebel; 10-27-2006, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I thought this thread was going to be about dogs......
        RAY.

Comment

Thanks guys, I that helps.

-G

Comment

Originally posted by Gray View Post
            Hello Everybody-

I have been having a hard time answering a question, maybe someone knows...

When the Germans re-annexed Alsace-Lorraine, I understand that all able military age Alsatians and Lorrainers had to join the Wehrmacht. Let's say if I were of military age living in Alsace somewhere and I just served in the French armed forces and made it back home way or another, would I have to now turn around and serve in the Wehrmacht?

Were there exceptions?

thanks.

-Gray
            It happened to the great father of an ex girlfriend:
            he served with Germany during WW1, then french army 1939/1940, enrolled in german army late 1940 but finally go back home as was pretty old, had child and was needed where he used to live...3 uniforms, one man.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X