Michael Wittmann Decortions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Wittmann Decortions

I'm trying to compose a list of all the decoration Michael Wittmann receive and the exact dates that there were awarded, here what I have so far:

13/03/38 Awarded Austria reunification medal
    01/10/38 Awarded Sudetenland medal
    12/07/41 Awarded Iron Cross 2nd Class
    20/08/41 Awarded Wound Badge in Black
    08/09/41 Awarded Iron Cross First Class
    21/11/41 Awarded Tank Assault Badge in Silver
    14/01/44 Awarded the Knight's Cross
    30/01/44 Awarded the Oakleaves
    22/06/44 Awarded the Swords

He also receive the Royal Bulgarian Soldiers Cross of the Order of Bravery 2nd Class and the ost-front medal in Aug. 1942, however I don't know the exact date.

Also sine he join the SS at 01/04/37 he was qualified to the SS long service medal for 4 years at 01/04/41, however I don't know if this medal was awarded automaticly at the exact date or was it delay for some reasons (like being in combat situations, approval by commander, etc.).

I also wasn't able to find if he was awarded the Prague bar to the Sudetenland medal, as the LSSAH also took part in the annexation of Czechoslovakia (he receive the Sudetenland medal when he, as part of the LSSAH enter the Sudetenland).

Any addition information and correction you could provide would be welcome.

13.03.1938 and 01.10.1938 are not the dates of award for the Austria and Sudetenland medals. They are the dates for the events commemorated by the medals, the official titles of which were as follows:<O></O>
    <O></O>
    Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 13. M******228;rz 1938 and <O></O>
    Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 1. Oktober 1938<O></O>

Best wishes,
    ~ Mike

Here's what I have re: Wittmann's awards (may not be 100% accurate):

Michael Wittmann<O></O>
    SS-Hauptsturmf******252;hrer der Waffen-SS <O></O>
    <O></O>
    <O></O>
    * 22.04.1914 in Vogelthal bei Beilngries im Altm******252;hltal / Oberpfalz.
    + 08.08.1944 at Gaumesnil near Cintheaux, Normandy (Killed in action, apparently by rocket fire from an RAF Typhoon Mk IB, in Tiger #007 as Fhr. 2.Kompanie / schwere SS-Panzer-Abteilung 101. Also killed was his entire crew: SS-Sturmmann Rudolf “Rudi” Hirschel [Radioman, * 03.01.1924], SS-Unterscharf******252;hrer Heinrich Reimers [Driver, * 11.05.1924], SS-Unterscharf******252;hrer Karl Wagner [Observer, * 31.05.1920], and SS-Sturmmann G******252;nther Weber [Loader, * 21.12.1924]. <O></O>
    <O></O>
    NSDAP-Nr.: 5 508 244 (Joined 01.05.1937?)<O></O>
    SS-Nr.: 311 623 (Joined 01.04.1937)<O></O>

Promotions:<O></O>
    00.00.193_ Gefreiter <O></O>
    00.00.193_ Unteroffizier<O></O>
    01.04.1937 SS-Mann<O></O>
    09.11.1937 SS-Staffel-Sturmmann<O></O>
    20.04.1939 SS-Unterscharf******252;hrer<O></O>
    09.11.1941 SS-Oberscharf******252;hrer der Waffen-SS<O></O>
    21.12.1942 SS-Untersturmf******252;hrer d. R. der Waffen-SS <O></O>
    30.01.1944 SS-Obersturmf******252;hrer d. R. der Waffen-SS <O></O>
    21.06.1944 SS-Hauptsturmf******252;hrer d. R. der Waffen-SS<O></O>
    <O></O>
    Decorations & Awards:<O></O>
    22.06.1944 Schwertern zum Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes (71.) as SS-
    Obersturmf******252;hrer d. R. and Fhr. 2.Kompanie / schwere SS-Panzer-Abteilung 101 / I.SS-Panzer-
    Korps “Leibstandarte-SS Adolf Hitler”, Western Front (based on a recommendation dated
    13.06.1944 and signed by Korps Kom. Gen. "Sepp" Dietrich; personally presented by Adolf
    Hitler on 25.06.1944 at F******252;hrer HQ, Rastenburg / Ostpreu******223;en)<O></O>
    30.01.1944 Eichenlaub zum Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes (380.) as SS-Untersturmf******252;hrer d. R. and Zugfhr. in 13.(schwere) Kompanie / SS-Panzer-Regiment 1 / 1.SS-Panzer-Division “Leibstandarte-SS Adolf Hitler”, Eastern Front personally presented by Adolf Hitler on 02.02.1944 at F******252;hrer HQ, Rastenburg / Ostpreu******223;en)<O></O>
    14.01.1944 Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes as SS-Untersturmf******252;hrer d. R. and Zugfhr. in 13.(schwere)Kompanie / SS-Panzer-Regiment 1 / 1.SS-Panzer-Division “Leibstandarte-SS Adolf Hitler", Eastern Front (based on a recommendation dated 10.01.1944 and signed by Div. Kdr. Theodor Wisch)<O></O>
    08.09.1941 1939 Eisernes Kreuz I. Klasse <O></O>
    12.07.1941 1939 Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse <O></O>
    21.11.1941 Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber<O></O>
    00.00.194_ Verwundetenabzeichen, 1939 in Schwarz<O></O>
    13.01.1944 Mentioned in the Wehrmachtbericht<O></O>
    00.00.19__ Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 1. Oktober 1938<O></O>
    00.00.19__ Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 13. M******228;rz 1938<O></O>
    00.00.19__ Deutsches Reichssportabzeichen in Bronze<O></O>
    00.00.19__ Totenkopfring der SS<O></O>
    <O></O>
    Note:<O></O>
    * Wittmann and his crew destroyed 138 tanks and 132 antitank guns, <O></O>
    most of them on the Eastern Front.<O></O>

Comment

-

Speaking of Michael Wittmann, I wonder how many movies had been made about him, had he been an US-citizien...

Comment

I am just curios if the person that found the remains of Wittmann`s tiger actually found some of his medals, i remeber reading somewhere that ID was possible also by the finding of medals , waht became of these

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime Sadurni View Post
          I am just curios if the person that found the remains of Wittmann`s tiger actually found some of his medals, i remeber reading somewhere that ID was possible also by the finding of medals , waht became of these
          It is my understanding that the bodies where pretty messed up and final identification was based on the fact that it was known he carried a small automatic pistol inside his wrap.

Comment

I found this link which shows photographs of Wittmann´s actual medals: http://www.wehrmachtlexikon.de/archi...0d18cb823ad729

It also features alot of photos, including the excavation and what was found during it: http://www.wehrmachtlexikon.de/archi...0d18cb823ad729

Comment

I've always wondered if his awarded PAB should have been a numbered one or at least ugraded to a numbered badge at some point during his service?

Al

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime Sadurni View Post
                No medals were found in 1983, only the mentioned pistol, remains of SS-offz. collartabs, remains of a leather jacket, and the LW-dogtag of one of his crew (shortly before his death he was transferred from the LW to the Waffen-SS). Both the pistol and dogtag could be seen today in the headquarters of the german war grave commission at Kassel.

Wittmann´s body was 100% identified by his teeth (he has a metal replacement frontal tooth, a present from Hitler).

The medals and other valuable stuff was stolen by the farmers who buried the crew in august 1944.

The medals of Wittmann are today in a collection in normandy (sorry, no more info would be made public).

Wittmanns family still owns some of his uniforms today here in bavaria.

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                  No medals were found in 1983, only the mentioned pistol, remains of SS-offz. collartabs, remains of a leather jacket, and the LW-dogtag of one of his crew (shortly before his death he was transferred from the LW to the Waffen-SS). Both the pistol and dogtag could be seen today in the headquarters of the german war grave commission at Kassel.

Wittmann´s body was 100% identified by his teeth (he has a metal replacement frontal tooth, a present from Hitler).

The medals and other valuable stuff was stolen by the farmers who buried the crew in august 1944.

The medals of Wittmann are today in a collection in normandy (sorry, no more info would be made public).

Wittmanns family still owns some of his uniforms today here in bavaria.
                  any more informations abaut the uniforms? what models?
                  do you have seen

Comment

Wittman's Decorations

Michael Wittman's decorations are now in the hands of a collector in North America (No more information is available)

Comment

Did you guys take a look at the links I posted? There you can see what was found in 1983, as well as the medals, and other stuff too. For example the uniforms in possesion of the family: http://www.wehrmachtlexikon.de/archi...0d18cb823ad729

Here´s the link where all subcategories about Wittmann start from: http://www.wehrmachtlexikon.de/archi...0d18cb823ad729

Comment

Wittman's Decorations

While I cannot speak as to the uniforms; the awards were purchased directly from Wittman's family by the collector and are now in North America.

Comment

As a passionate LAH document collector I would love to see some Wittmann paperwork. Anyone knows whether that is still with the family or sold also? I think I had seen the swords document somewhere on the web one day. Hard to believe they still made one for him, when he had been killed so soon after the receipt of the award.

I was surprised that Wittmann had a set of each of his decorations at home with the family....

Comment

I have the book Panzerheld it has a photo of MW receiving a combo swords plus cross the day it was awarded, it doesn't surprise me that he had some awards at home.

Comment

Originally posted by markus View Post
                              As a passionate LAH document collector I would love to see some Wittmann paperwork. Anyone knows whether that is still with the family or sold also? I think I had seen the swords document somewhere on the web one day. Hard to believe they still made one for him, when he had been killed so soon after the receipt of the award.

I was surprised that Wittmann had a set of each of his decorations at home with the family....
                              Here´s a photo of the swords document: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...8&postcount=56

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X