Help with unit information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with unit information

I have a uniform/medal/document group which belonged to a Captain who served in the Stabs/Oberkommando der Herresgruppe Sudukraine. This soldier was transfered to this unit in May 1944 and later captured by Americans in France, so I don't know at what point he was transferred out of the unit. Can anyone tell me what this unit was (perhaps the Command group for the Army group)? Also, would service in Army Group South Ukraine have qualified him for the Eastern Front medal?

I wrote to the Deutsche Dienstelle for information on him, but his records for awards and medals seem to have been destroyed during the war.

Thanks,
    John

It's the staff or headquarters of army group South Ukraine. If he was only transferred to the Eastern Front in 1944 then no, he would not have qualified for the eastern front medal, but had he previously served on the eastern front during the winter of 41\42 then he would. It's also important to note that sometimes it took years for the paperwork to catch up and eastfront medals were still being awarded in 1944.

Was the guy on the general staff? ie. had Hauptmann i G as his rank?
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon orchard
      It's the staff or headquarters of army group South Ukraine. If he was only transferred to the Eastern Front in 1944 then no, he would not have qualified for the eastern front medal, but had he previously served on the eastern front during the winter of 41\42 then he would. It's also important to note that sometimes it took years for the paperwork to catch up and eastfront medals were still being awarded in 1944.

Was the guy on the general staff? ie. had Hauptmann i G as his rank?
      Thanks for your help. From the records, during 1940-1942 he was a Feldwebel in Panzer-Jager Abteilung 33 (Nachrichtenzug). I don't know what Nachrichtenzug is either. I don't think he was on the general staff with Army Group South Ukraine. By 1944 he was a technical inspector and has the T on his Captain's shoulder boards.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X