Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Soldbuch Unit Entry

Hi All,

I have a soldbuch to a Sanitater that shows what appears to be Rgt. v. Kassel. Does anyone know anything about this unit or can you identify it as something else? There is also a Red Cross Ausweis that appears to mention this unit as well...but it's not as legible. Any help is appreciated - Thanks!

Pete
    Attached Files

Here's the Red Cross Ausweis

Here's a look at the Red Cross Ausweis...it appears to say Einheit v. Kassel or similar?? Any thoughts or info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Pete.
      I read the name as " von Stoessel" ( Umlaut o ) . The book by Anthony Kemp " The Unknown Battle Metz 1944 " lists a Oberst v. Stoessel as commander of Ft. St.Quentin at the Metz defensive works and as of or after October 5, 1944 as the commander of the Volksgrenadier Rgt. 1215 which was a component of 462. Volksgrenadier Division . This division was assigned the task of defending the Fortress of Metz.
      I believe this officer to be the one after which the regiment listed in the documents you show is named. This unit was probably in the process of formation and thus named after its commander for a time until receiving a number ( 1215) Note the dates in the docs.
      I was unable to find an officer by the name of von Stoessel in the 1944/1945 German Army Officers Ranklist but another with the name of "Stoessel von der Heyde" ,Oberst with date of rank 1.Dec. 1942 and recipient of the German Cross in Gold as Lt.Col. Inf.Rgt. 78 with date of 14. Feb. 1942 . This could be the same officer whose name was shortened in the above mentioned book.
      Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

Bernhard,

Thank you so much for the information and clarification on the name - I can see it now that you have pointed it out, especially on the Red Cross Ausweis. It also fits well with this rather large document group that I have with this Soldbuch as he was made a POW in France shortly thereafter.

Many Thanks,

Pete

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X