Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie at a lost..looking for Maps

Gentlemen,
    Please bear with my new post. If I run afowl of a rule, please let me know.

I thought that looking for topographical maps of the Ardennes would be easy. I am wrong. Besides the usual Army 'green' book series, which are fine, but do not provide the detail I am looking for.
    I guess being in the Army I am 'spoiled' by being able to get a 1/50k map of an area to do research (as long as the research is on the current time frame).

SO I ask you, where does on locate topo maps, say US or German tactical maps of the Ardennes?

Thank you
    Muns

yes, I am also very interested in more detailled maps, especially of the battlegrounds (route) of Kampfgruppe Peiper. I am very interested in a good map op La Gleize and surroundings..

martin

Comment

Hi Muns and Martin,

Are you interested in modern detailed maps of the region (like, 1:24000 or 1:25000), or are you looking for maps of the WWII period?

I found a couple of WWII repro maps on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/4-WW2-TACTICAL-M...QQcmdZViewItem

I have some of the more modern (1960s-1980s) Belgian topo maps; military type (1:25000), plus some tourist maps of the La Gleize area that IIRC are more like 1:15000. At home I have some info on where to order some of these maps; will expand this when I can check at home.

----------

After checking at home - what I have mostly used for detailed work is the 1:25000 Belgian National Geographic Institute topo maps. These are for all practical purposes military maps: gridded off in 1km military grid with grid zone designators, military-type legend (in English also), etc. Three of the mapsheets cover Peiper's route from Losheimergraben to Stoumont - 50/7-8 (not sure what the name of this mapsheet is - it has B******252;llingen on it), 50/5-6 Stavelot-Malmedy, and 49/7-8 Harze-La Gleize. These are all from Edition 3 Series M834.

I bought mine in Stavelot, but if you want to try out your French or Flemish, call the Institute Geographique National in Brussels at (0032) 2 629 84 17 or (0032) 2 629 82 82.

Best,
      Greg
      Last edited by Greg; 07-31-2006, 07:40 PM.
      sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
      www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Hi Muns,

Just saw your thread. I have a large map in one of my albums showing the routes take by Inf. Rgt. 19 (7 Inf Div) through Belgium and France.
        It has been cut into 16 squares and glued onto linen and can be folded up.
        The map looks like it may be of WW2 vintage.
        Here's a scan of one square.

Cheers

Larry
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Larrister for the scan. I am looking for a map of area where Kampfgruppe Von Der Heydt's LZ was suppose to be. I know it was suppose to be centered on the crossroads of Baraque Michel.
          However your scan is appreciated never the less.
          Muns

Comment

Thanks!

[QUOTE=Greg Walden]Hi Muns and Martin,

Are you interested in modern detailed maps of the region (like, 1:24000 or 1:25000), or are you looking for maps of the WWII period?

Muns writes;
            I am looking for the 1:50

I found a couple of WWII repro maps on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/4-WW2-TACTICAL-M...QQcmdZViewItem

Seen them, good, but I need just a tad north.

<snip>
            After checking at home - what I have mostly used for detailed work is the 1:25000 Belgian National Geographic Institute topo maps. <snip>Three of the mapsheets cover Peiper's route from Losheimergraben to Stoumont - 50/7-8 (not sure what the name of this mapsheet is - it has Büllingen on it), 50/5-6 Stavelot-Malmedy, and 49/7-8 Harze-La Gleize. These are all from Edition 3 Series M834.

Great! I am looking for the 1:50! And this info is what I am looking for! I went to Omni maps and used your map numbers above and no I think I know the area I need (50-50A 1:50K map).
            Thanks Greg!

Comment

HOOAH, 1SG!

Greg

(former Cavalryman, but we didn't drop our tanks out of planes!)
              sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
              www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

http://www.oldhickory30th.com/La%20G...%2018%2026.pdf

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X