new here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new here....

hello, im new here and I hope Im in the right place to post this.
    Well what I mean is that my grandfather was in WW2, in the German Army. I have 3 pics of him but thats it. Nobody will tell me what unit he was in or what front (campaign). What I do know is that he died Nov 17 1944.( Only if i had a scanner i could post these pics). Anyways I heard that sometimes they would put their unit number on their shoulder boards. is this true? b/c if it is then he has what appears to be a 61. On his collar he has two solid silver "bars" and I understand this to be a Lt?.

What i am going to try though is to go to my public library to use their scanners. can anyone please tell me how to post those pics here? 1) do I email it to me them copy and paste here? Im just assuming thats how its done.
    anyway thanks in advance for your help, and suggestions. and im sorry if i posted this in the wrong place. I think this forum is awesome with all the collections and photos.

Althaus

Welcome to the forum Althaus,

Firstly to post an image you should be a paid up member of the association but if you email me (or PM) I can do this initially for you.

Units did have their number on the shoulder board, however when they ceased as front line units I am not sure as for obvious reasons you did not want to show the unit you belonged to!

Reserve and replacements units that were in the homeland tended to keep this practice up displaying the unit number.......

If you have your grandfathers name and date of birth then a search could be put on the German War Graves archive to see if he is listed there...however if he is not it is not a bad sign it means that they do not know where his grave is...this is usually the case for those missing in action.

http://www.volksbund.de/graebersuche/content_suche.asp

Regards, Ian
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X