Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TSJUM 19th july 1943

Hello,

I know this is a long shot,I was wondering if someone could tell me what infantry rgts. were involved in the fighting around Tsjum Russia on the 19th July 1943,and a more specific question,what infantry rgt lost its commander in that fighting?

Yancy

Hi Yancy,

The three divisions that were opposite Izyum during this period were 257.( 457, 466 477IR's), 46. (42, 72, 97IR's) and 333. (679, 680, 681IR's) They belonged to 40. Panzer Korps. The division directly opposite Izyum itself was 46. ID.

However it has to be said that such was the intensity of the fighting throughout July and August on this sector, infantry regiments from other neighbouring divisions were probably involved...for instance I know for definite that a number of elements of 15. ID were attached to XL Panzer Korps in July.

This info comes from Victor Madeja, 'Russo-German War Summer 1943'.

Comment

Hello Gary,

thanks for the information,you gave me a big head start on my research,I can now concentrate on those three divisions,hopefully this man will be from on of the three!Basically i wanted to see if you could find out a mans unit with only a little more than basic information ie I had his death/memorial card and newspaper obituary that has of course his name(Ludwig Lemberger).town hes from,date and place in Russia were he was killed(Izyum 19th july 1943)and that he was the commander on an Infantry rgt.This was the main fact that i chose to try to research this one further is i didnt think that that many infantry rgts had there commanders killed in the fighting around Izyum on the 19th of july 1943,so hopefully it shoulnt be to hard to figure out from here.I noticed his familly that had the obituary and the card printed spelled the russian town wrong(TSJUM!)Ive been told that this is a common error on death/memorial cards and obituarys,that the familys get details of there relatives deaths ie places they were killed etc, unnoficially from his comerades and alot of time towns and cities names were not correct.BTW gary i recently had time to check out your site regarding Wehrpasses,it was outstanding!very detailed and helpfull information,your site has sparked an interest in wehrpasses for me(there alot more intersting when you know whats going on!)Ive also found your research link and other links very usefull,I found info that I had been looking for for a few years in the Wehrkreise link!

yancy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X