• Show
Clear All

Feldpostnumber

can somebody tell me where to look for Feldpostnumber numbers,

nr. 37216

and what kind of unit is was etc.

sorry didn't do this before

Marc

37216 belonged to the 4 Kp. Bau Pionier Btl 218 until 7.11.44 when it changed to the 1 kp. of the same unit.

The standard reference for Fp numbers is Norbert Kannapin's "Die deutsche Felpostübersicht 1939-1945" in 3 volumes or also available on CD. Most of the major German dealers have it in stock.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks,

so there is not much online?

And when I get it right, the FP nummer is attached to a division ( like an area code) and then to a name.

Looking for an O gefr. Koln (mit umluat)

Marc

Comment

No, Fp numbers are random and were in many cases changed from one unit to another.

Remember too that a great many units had nothing at all to do with any division.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

thanks,

so the feldpostnumber is a personal number?

and if so, ....will a feldpostnumber "dissapear" when the soldier gets killed?

Marc

Comment

not a personal number, it belonged to the unit. In your case that particular company had it's own number, that would suggest the company operated detached from the battalion. Numbers were typically changed or re-used after a unit was disbanded or destroyed.

Comment

i think i now understand it.

and is it possible when i ahve this feldpostnumber and the name: Ogefr. Koln.

to find out what happened to him?

I looked at the german wargraves site but couldn't find him, maybe because i only know his surname

Marc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X