Major Michalke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major Michalke

In my quest for all things Maschinengewehr-Bataillon (mot.) 13, I am looking for information regarding Major Michalke, who was battalion commander while the unit was in Finland. Does anyone have any info on the Major?

Hello Scharfschuetze.
    The Rangliste des Deutschen Heeres 1944/45 lists a Oberst Michalke with date of rank as 1.Febr.1943 and his peacetime unit as M.G.Btl. 13. . The only officer by that name listed.
    The reference book on the recipients of the German Cross i. Gold lists one recipient by that name (Wilhelm Michalke) having received this award with date of 13.Dec.1944 as Oberst , GR 428.
    I believe it to be a reasonable guess that this officer is the one you are looking for.
    Bernhard H.Holst

Comment

Originally posted by bhholst
      Hello Scharfschuetze.
      The Rangliste des Deutschen Heeres 1944/45
      Bernhard H.Holst
      Thank you Bernhard! Is the volume you mentioned above still available or is it out of print?

Comment

Hello Scharfschuetze.
        The mentioned "Rankliste" is long out of print but occasionally is offered as a used volume. It does have some limitations because generally only the last name is given and only " aktive" (regular/professional) officers are listed..
        Bernhard H.Holst

Comment

Hello Scharfschuetze.
          The mentioned "Rankliste" is long out of print but occasionally is offered as a used volume. It does have some limitations because generally only the last name is given and only " aktive" (regular/professional) officers are listed..
          Bernhard H.Holst
          The reason I asked was that I have an award document signed by a Major Michalke and have seen a photo of MG Bat 3rd Company with Major Michalke posing in the center. Also, does the "Rankliste" have an entry for an Oberleutnant Kasten? He would have been the Company Commander of 1st Company, MG Bat 13.
          Last edited by scharfschutze; 07-22-2006, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Hallo Scharfschuetze.
            the Rankliste only lists officers from Stabsoffizier rank i.e. beginning with rank of Major.
            The list does not list any possible officer starting with that rank at all bearing the name of Kasten.
            Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

Bernhard,

How are the lists arranged? Alphabetically by name or can you search by assignment/unit?

Regards,
              Scharfschutze

Comment

Hallo Schaefschuetze.
                The Rangliste mainly consists of two parts, namely officers in service with troops and officers serving on special duties (Truppensonderdienst.) which means administrative duties.
                The respective lists are arranged by rank in order of seniority wth indication of peacetime unit affiliation, date of rank, branch/arm and any known promotion until the end of the war. There is an index arranged by name in alphabetic order. As noted before mostly only last name is given.
                The book has some additional sections on methods of selection of officers, advancement
                and similar.
                Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

Thanks again, Bernhard. I see that I will have to attempt to acquire this tome for my collection.

Comment

Hello Scharfschuetze.
                    You may be able to locate the above mentioned "Rangliste Des Deutschen Heeres 1944/45" in the used books trade. However be cautioned:
                    I recall a price tag of Euro 85 lately.
                    The contents are from Fieldgrade up and date from about June 1944 with known promotions until the end of the war but do not include Reserve Officers nor those KIA, missing or otherwise no longer on the active duty rolls as of June 1944.
                    The other sections I mentioned can be rather detailed and somewhat complicated. While I do not know your linguistic abilities in regards to the german language I would not encourage persons with language limitations to venture into this reference book if they should be interested beyond a certain officer's data.
                    Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

Originally posted by scharfschutze
                      In my quest for all things Maschinengewehr-Bataillon (mot.) 13, I am looking for information regarding Major Michalke, who was battalion commander while the unit was in Finland. Does anyone have any info on the Major?
                      According to Das Deutsche Heer 1939, Gliedrung, Standorte, Stellenbesetzung und Verzeichnis sämtlicher Offiziere am 3.1.1939, page 405,
                      Maj. Michalke was the Kommandeur since 01.08.1938 and came from MG. Btl. 2.

He also commanded directly 3. / MG. Btl. 13 with a Lt. Richarz(in MG13 since 01.01.1938 and came from Infantry Regiment 70). So Batl.co and Komp.co at the same time.

There is only 1 Michalke listed.

In this book are 2 Kasten listed.
                      page 590 a Lt. Kasten since 1.4.36 member of the Stab / Panzerabwehrabteilung 41,

page 382 hptm. Kasten since 1.1.36 Ko.führer 14. / Infanterieregiment 130 who came from IR65.

Hope this can be of any help.

Comment

Hello Scharfschuetze.
                        You may be able to locate the above mentioned "Rangliste Des Deutschen Heeres 1944/45" in the used books trade. However be cautioned:
                        I recall a price tag of Euro 85 lately.
                        The contents are from Fieldgrade up and date from about June 1944 with known promotions until the end of the war but do not include Reserve Officers nor those KIA, missing or otherwise no longer on the active duty rolls as of June 1944.
                        The other sections I mentioned can be rather detailed and somewhat complicated. While I do not know your linguistic abilities in regards to the german language I would not encourage persons with language limitations to venture into this reference book if they should be interested beyond a certain officer's data.
                        Bernhard H. Holst
                        Bernhard,
                        My German is limited but my mother and grandmother live close by and can help, as they speak fluent German.

Comment

Originally posted by Ypenburg
                          According to Das Deutsche Heer 1939, Gliedrung, Standorte, Stellenbesetzung und Verzeichnis sämtlicher Offiziere am 3.1.1939, page 405,
                          Maj. Michalke was the Kommandeur since 01.08.1938 and came from MG. Btl. 2.

He also commanded directly 3. / MG. Btl. 13 with a Lt. Richarz(in MG13 since 01.01.1938 and came from Infantry Regiment 70). So Batl.co and Komp.co at the same time.

There is only 1 Michalke listed.

In this book are 2 Kasten listed.
                          page 590 a Lt. Kasten since 1.4.36 member of the Stab / Panzerabwehrabteilung 41,

page 382 hptm. Kasten since 1.1.36 Ko.führer 14. / Infanterieregiment 130 who came from IR65.

Hope this can be of any help.
                          Ypenburg,
                          That certainly explains why Michalke was photographed with 3./MG Btl 13 and I haven't been able to find any other photos. Thanks.

Comment

To give you the complete list:

Maschinengewehrbataillon 13
                            Saarlautern
                            Komp.
                            kommandeur: Obstlt. Schaller (IR70) 01.01.38 -
                            Maj. Michalke(MG bat.2) 01.08.38 3

Hptm. Dr. Poeppel(IR70) 01.06.34 1
                            Oblt. Matthek (MG Bat.2) 01.10.37 4(PzAbw)
                            Oblt. Arzt (IR70) 01.10.38 4(PzAbw)
                            Oblt. Gerlach (MG Batl.10) 01.10.38 2
                            Lt. Peiler (IR70) 01.10.38 Adj.
                            Lt. Vogel (IR70) 01.04.37 Stab
                            Lt. Richarz (IR70) 01.01.38 3
                            Lt. Horst (IR70) 01.01.38 2

Comment

Outstanding, Ypenburg! Thanks once again!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X