Who was(is?) Heer Officer F.WS. Mewes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who was(is?) Heer Officer F.WS. Mewes?

I’m asking for assistance in finding information regarding a personalized Heer officer dagger I acquired a few years ago. I’ve known where the item was and the veteran who brought it back for over 30 years and so I’m comfortable that no one has altered it since the war ended in 1945.
    As can be seen from the crossguard inscription the dagger was the property of F. W. Mewes who must have served in the Heer from at least 1939 until 1943. Why 1943? Possibly the dagger was presented in to Mewes in 1943? Or, possibly he was wounded and released from service in 1943? The dagger reflects a prewar level of quality and workmanship, which would agree with the 1939 date.

http://members.aol.com./texasuberall...crossguard.jpg

The pommel of the dagger includes a triangular crest that would be helpful in narrowing down who Mewes was (is?). The top ½ of the crest incorporates what looks to be a horn or possibly a trumpet in the form of a horn. The bottom ½ of the crest includes a field with three ‘stars”.

http://members.aol.com./texasuberalles/mewespommel.jpg

Any assistance in determining the service record of this individual and his eventual fate would be appreciated. Relics of this sort can really ‘come alive’ when coupled with this information.
    I’ll be posting this request on several ‘like’ forums hoping for success.

Last edited by Texasuberalles; 12-29-2002, 03:56 PM.

The only "MEWES" that shows up is a Fw. from GR 8!! awarded the German Cross in 4/44. First name 'Friedrich'.
    I would be concerned with the style of engraving however. Looks very sophmoric and not of the era.
    Good luck,
    John
    Regards,
    Dave

Comment

The 'engraving' on the crossguard is not what you would desire in a personalized item. It's actually a series of small 'punches'.

Not to be ignored however, is the motif on the pommell which is of a quality more desiriable in nature. It is more 'engraved'.

My comfort with the item is buttressed by knowing the vet who (sadly he's now dead) brought it and about 8-10 other blades back.

Tragically, stories 'are free' and usually not transportable from one collector to another......

Thanks for your observations.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X