Georg Ratzinger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Georg Ratzinger

Would anyone know which unit Georg Ratzinger, brother of Pope Benedict XVI, served in? He was evidently wounded on 12 June 1944 in Bolsena, Italy opposing American troops. He was awarded the EKII and Black wound badge.

Can't find anything you haven't mentioned .... yet. Sounds intriguing .... just "Wehrmacht", "militärdienst," etc. Nothing specific.

He was wounded in the arm:
    Am 12. Juni 1944 wurde er während eines Kampfes in Bolsena , Italien, durch den Arm geschossen

In a Chicago Tribune article he is quoted as saying, "..."I was a radio operator," ...."

In 1942, Ratzinger was drafted into a federal labor force, and the same fall he entered the regular German armed forces as a radio operator in a signals unit. After serving in France, the Netherlands and Czechoslovakia, Ratzinger was sent to Italy where he was wounded. link
    Can these location narrow the search???

-- Guy

Comment

Thanks for your response. I would have thought that the scrutiny of his brother's record might have spilled over to Georg, who was after all, a monsignor. I have seen the following pair of photos online, not sure if the LW Soldat could be the Pope's brother (the Flakhelfer is the Pope) :
      Attached Files

Comment

Here i have found some:

But the Second World War caused a turning point. Georg was drafted into the Reich Labor Service, then into the Wehrmacht, where he had to serve as a radio operator in the intelligence service, first in France, then in Holland and Czechoslovakia. In 1944 he was sent to the Italian front and wounded there. It was only on a hot July day in 1945, when the family had not heard from him for a long time, that Georg returned home healthy.

https://www.katholisch.de/artikel/26...org-ratzingers

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X