Generalmajor Hermann Bacher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generalmajor Hermann Bacher

I have in my possession a tunic formerly belonging to Generalmajor Hermann Bacher. To date I have only one photograph of Herr Generalmajor and that is a xerox from the book Die Generale des Heeres 1921-1945 which I received from the Bundesarchiv. To date I have been unable to locate any other photographs. I am looking for any photographs or reference material which mentions Generalmajor Hermann Bacher.

A little background: He was born on 11 March 1889 in Pola, Istrien. Served in the Austrian Army until 15 March 1938 at which time he was accepted into the German Army and served as a Pionier Officer. He was promoted to Generalmajor on 1 December 1942, captured by the Russians on 8 May 1945 and was released from captivity on 27 July 1948. He died in Salzburg on 6 October 1964.

If someone has a lead on tracking down reference material or a photograph I can provide specific dates and unit assignments.
    AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Major Bacher

You presumably have his assignments and promotions from the book "Die Generale des Heeres 1921-1945". Here is his listing in the 1936 edition of the Austrian Army rank list, "Schematismus für das Österreichische Bundesheer und die Bundesheeresverwaltung".

It shows his decorations as follows:

Austrian Golden Merit Cross
    Miltary Merit Cross 3rd Class with war decoration and swords
    Silver Military Merit Medal (Signum Laudis)
    Bronze Military Merit Medal (Signum Laudis)
    Karl Troop Cross
    Long Service medal 2nd Class for Officers
    Austrian War Commemoration Medal with swords

Regards
    Glenn

Comment

Glenn - OUTSTANDING!!! Thanks much for posting that for me and deciphering the awards.

Now, that leads me to another question for you. This tunic has awards for 5 loops on the left breast and 2 on the right breast. I can account for only two of them:

Iron Cross II class 9/39
      Iron Cross I Class 5/40
      East Medal 8/42
      War Merit Cross II class 4/43
      German Cross in Gold 4/43

So, I am left with 4 unknown awards on the left breast and 1 on the right. My knowledge of WW I Austrian awards is nil, so of the awards you listed which ones were worn on the medal/ribbon bar and which ones, if any, were breast awards?
      AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

Awards

PD,

all those Austro-Hungarian and Republic of Austria awards were worn on the medal/ribbon bar.

Regards
        Glenn

Comment

Try WW2 badges on the breast loops-- they should be made to fit snugly, so you can tell if (I assume his bio pic doesn't show his awards): General Assault Badge, Wound Badge, etc. With that many, I would say chances are best he had at least two of them for these badges.

A sports badge seems unlikely, but try for a fit below the others. If not, something mysteriously Axis Allies went there.

For the RIGHT side, if the loops are the same size, he may have only worn the German Cross there, but varied where he wore it, depending on if he had a belt on etc. I've seen photos of the same recipients with one "high" on the pocket in one view and "low" underneath in another shot.

Comment

Glenn - thanks again for the info!

Rick - I think you're right on the money with the right side loops. I measured them and they are EXACTLY the same size. I'll have to fool around and see what he had on the left side. The only picture I have of the guy is in a greatcoat. I am hoping to find a photograph of him wearing a 4 pocket showing all of his awards.

By the way, don't be afraid to work your magic and come up with his ribbon bar for me.
            AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

Damn Austrians-- everything on the same laddered red and white ribbons! Maybe the other left side one is a KVK1 with Swords? If it will fit!

Comment

Is your tunic the one from Weitze???I hadn´´t good vibrations about it....
                F.K.

Comment

Yes, I picked it up from Weitze. Everything checked out on it. It has a tailor lable from Alexander Sohr - Wien with " Herr Oberst H. Bacher 1941" on the label. He was promoted to Oberst on 1 April 1939 and Generalmajor on 1 December 1942, so the dates check out. The upgraded General insignia has obviously been done by a tailor and is period.

Let me know if you want further pics.
                  Last edited by PD Sergeant; 11-28-2002, 07:30 PM.
                  AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

Breast eagle, collar tab, shoulder board......
                    AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X