EpicArtifacts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were there any recipients of both the DKiG and the DKiS???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were there any recipients of both the DKiG and the DKiS???

Well were there???

Yes. I know that one of the well known reference books shows a recipient wearing both the German Cross in Gold and in Silver as well. Also, some time back at a show I purchased a named General Staff officer's tunic. Upon researching the owner I learned that he had been the recipient of both versions of the German Cross as well.

Comment

Dear Bill, do you know the man's name at all???

Comment

The officer's name was Bodo Zimmerman. I believe that I still have a copy of the request for information on him that I received from the German Archives. As I recall, the DKS was awarded in 1943, and the DKG in 1944. If you'd like I would be happy to send you a copy of this information if I can locate it.

Comment

Hello,

Konteradmiral Dr. Paul Hermann Meixner was also awarded both German crosses and the book " For Fuhrer und Fatherland ", written by J.Angolia shows him on page 331 ( picture => Bob Taylor collection )

born on 04.06.1891 in Vienna ( Austria )

Award off the German cross in Silver on 06.06.1942 ( as a Korvettenkapitän z. V , chef der DEutsche Seetransportstelle in Italienische NOrdafrika.

Award off the German cross in gold on 11.02.1943 ( as Sonderfuhrer => Kapiän zur See , chef der transportstellen in Italienische Nordafrika )

Hoping this helps,

Greetings,
          my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

Bodo Zimmermann was born in 1886, still alive 1956. He had been an officer in Infantry Regiment 145 in the Imperial army, was attending the War Academy on the outbreak of the war, and was retired as a brevet Major iG aD in 1920. Oddly enough, he did NOT return to Wehrmacht service in the 1930s as an (E) retread, but was called up as a Major iG zV in September 1939.

He received the German Cross in Silver 15 February 1943 as an Oberstleutnant iG zV, Ia (Chief of General Staff) of OB West. He received the German Cross in Gold 25.9.44 as Oberst iG zV, still in same position. Ultimately, he ended up as Generalleutnant zur Verfu"gung 1 May 1945--an unheard of career, since zV war's duration retreads normally only moved up ONE rank, not FOUR!

Another was Konteradmiral zS zV Dr. jur. Paul Meixner (1891-1950), whose portrait photo wearing both is the one usually shown to illustrate both being worn--a practice later illogically banned. He got the GCiS as a Korvettenkapita"n zS zV 6.6.42, as Commander of German Sea Transport Position, North Africa, and the GCiG 11.2.43 as Kapita"n zS zV in the same job. Another war's duration retread whose promotions kept pace with his singular awards, he was promoted Konteradmiral zS zV while in captivity 11.5.43-February 1946.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X