Adolf Otto Diekmann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adolf Otto Diekmann

Infamous for the massacre at Oradour-sur-Glane. I'm trying to pinpoint his actually death location on June 29,30 1944 somewhere near Normandy. The 1st Battalion of the Der Fuhrer SS Regiment 2nd SS Panzer Division Das Reich which Diekmann was in command was somewhere near Caen. I have seen the location stated as Caen, Department du Calvados, Base-Normandy, France.

My research tells me he was outside his command bunker and was hit in the head by either artillery fragments or by a sniper. He walked outside his bunker without his helmet. Some research states that he was near suicidal over the fact he was facing court martial for his actions at Oradour. I would think there is some info on his units location on the 29th of June and possible battle maps.

He was initially buried in a temporary grave at Banneville and in 1967 his body was moved to the cemetery at La Cambe Normandy. Since the temporary grave was at Banneville does this indicate he must have been killed somewhere nearby? Did his comrades bury him?

If anyone has details of this location of death I would be most appreciative .

Hello Texbow

There is some suggestion that his death may have been an inside job.
    Division "Das Reich" was somewhat fragmentated in Normandy.
    Passage from the book "Comrades to the End" as follows:

Diekmann probably sought death as a result, (Oradour- Helmut Kämpfe),
    for according to eyewitness statements he stood up in the midst of extremely
    heavy fire without a helmet, wearing only a forage cap, until he was fatally wounded by a shell splinter.

Stdf Stadler (Der Fuhrer Regimental commander) was not impressed by
    Diekmanns conduct

Diekmann death 30 June 1944 Noyers / Villers Bocage area

Regards

Pete

Comment

Thanks Pete. I had seen that in the book also. For a twist on this story the book by Robin Mackness "Oradour Massacre & Aftermath" opens the possibility that Diekmann may have had a reason to go AWOL and that his death could have been faked. I doubt that he actually faked his death but I do think he was preparing for an exit if the war loss was certain.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X