gunther rall items..............again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gunther rall items..............again

There are several Gunther Rall items, including several swords and personal items,currently on an auction site.

How many times have Gunther Rall items been auctioned?

It is interesting that his gloves are being auctioned. I thought his thumb was shot off and that glove is in a US military museum?

MOST of these higher profile german officers were stripped of most of their awards when captured. They most likely bought replacements at a few points after the war, which technically were "their awards", but not the wartime awards/items.

It's a shame ... lots of false stuff out there associated with Gunther Rall.
    You are correct - lost a finger to a US Fighter (as I recall it was a P-51 Mustang) and he shared the story with me, several years back. I know that glove is in a museum, but I can't recall which museum.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by zook View Post
      It's a shame ... lots of false stuff out there associated with Gunther Rall.
      You are correct - lost a finger to a US Fighter (as I recall it was a P-51 Mustang) and he shared the story with me, several years back. I know that glove is in a museum, but I can't recall which museum.
      Holy Crap!

Now that is a cool photo!

His getting his finger shot off probably saved his life, as he didn't fly for the last year of the war. Hans Klein, a pour le merite winner who was later involved in the assassination of Hitler, had his finger shot off and prevented him from flying further, probably sparing his life as well.

Comment

Which auction?

Comment

Rall

http://thesaleroom.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brian H View Post
            That is the auction site. I have found some decent stuff from there in the past, but there is a lot of crap too. I've picked up ehrenbechers for less than half of the dealer's prices, as those auction sites are not frequented as much by other collectors. You can pick up some decent guns every once in a while, but most have been reblued or arsenal reworked.

The Hanhart watch has a letter associated with it, presumably signed by Rall, but that letter could be paired with any watch, whether Rall owned it or not.

Rall states that most everything he was wearing was stripped by American soldiers with only his RK with O/S/D remaining. Now why in the world would they take all that and not pilfer his watch?
            Last edited by blind pew; 11-23-2019, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Not speaking to the items in this auction, but officers and generals had multiple pieces of clothing and equipment.

J-

Comment

For example, the visor as offered is a set up.

Its not the same as it was auctioned at Thies in 2007 in the same Rall grouping.

Comment

His medals

All his medals were taken away when he become a prisoner, and in the very first minute, as he told and wrote in "Mein Flugbuch". Every medal, cross, Oaks ans Swords are post war pieces, that may be he bought(what I doubt) and sell afterwards. He mentioned ever that he only wore the 57 pieces in 1/1 two times in his life. He was proud of his time in the Bundeswehr and he also said that he would prefer for being remembered for his yeras in the Bundeswehr tan for his few yeras in the Luftwaffe.

I doubt that even the pieces sold by Thies were his wartime ones. My point of view after my interview with him in Helsinki

Comment

Very true, when my uncle was captured in Bavaria by US forces, he had already stashed most of his awards with his sister for safekeeping. Unfortunately the items in his apartment in Berlin were lost.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X