WöschlerOrden

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luftwaffe National Emblem w/screw post - OPINIONS PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe National Emblem w/screw post - OPINIONS PLEASE!

Greetings All:

I have acquired a Luftwaffe National Emblem with a screw post. Wing to wing it measures 12cm and is approximately 6cm from the top of the wing to the bottom of the swastika. It is made from tombak, is silvered and has been darkened in places.

The swastika measures 20mm square and the screw post is 3mm wide and about 5mm long. It is unmarked and came from the estate of a German Luftwaffe Career Officer in Germany.

The detail is all of an early Pilot's Badge eagle. The overall detail is remarkable even on the reverse. Here are two scans, one of the obverse and the other reverse.

If anyone has seen one of these I sure would appreciate hearing from you. As well, I am interested in learning more about it and how it may have been used, such as being mounted on a painting or something like that.

Any thoughts on value is also appreciated. I have a copy of John Angolia and Adolf Schlichts book "Uniforms & Traditions of the Luftwaffe, Volume 3." In this book it describes a larger example with two screw posts and is twice the size of this one. Honestly, it looks like it could have been made by Juncker because the detail in so incredibly fine.

Any help on this one is appreciated, as always.

Dan.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dkelley; 10-05-2002, 08:19 PM.

Here is the reverse. Note the detail is as fine as the front of the piece!
    Attached Files

Comment

My guess would be that it's for a photo album, even though these normally have prongs to affix them to the cover.
      WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Hi,
        Gene,I don't think it's for a photo album,the eagle is detailed on the back too,so it's meant to view from the back also.
        I've never seen one like this,maybe it's something for on top of a small banner or some desk eagle something ??

Jos.

Comment

Jos,

You may be right but I have a photo album eagle with the same dimensions as the one shown, only it has prongs on the back. It's stamped and beautifully made; but this one may be for something else
          WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

I'd agree that it was made for an album cover or a presentation plaque or something. A single screw there would mean it would be perpetually twirling on a uniform, getting the wings caught on things, etc. It is meant to be "bolted down" onto something that wasn't moving.

Try wearing it on an old shirt or something and see what happens. It's gonna end up upside down.

Comment

I say its a desk eagle

minus it's base.
              -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

I've discovered what this is. It's the eable from the Honor Plaque of the Luftwaffe for various air districts.

Yuri

Comment

Hi Yuri.

Bless your heart!

Thank you so much. Are there any pictures you can post for me to see? Gosh, fantastic!

Thanks again.

Dan.

Comment

I've discovered what this is. It's the eable from the Honor Plaque of the Luftwaffe for various air districts.

Yuri
                    Hi Yuri, I'm certainly not going to claim to be an expert on these things but I think it's an eagle that can be found on many different plaques and marble bases if I compare it to the pictures of similar birds from the net,

Cheers,
                    Michael
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X