Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S&L Pilot

Hi guys,

I was lucky and found a very interesting and rare badge a few days back. Though I´m pretty sure this thread won´t add anything new to these controversial (to say the least) most likely S&L badges, some might find it interesting anyway.

When I got this piece, I already noticed the eagle was a bit loose, well When I got home, the eagle was completely of the wreath.

The eagle is CupAl, the wreath is zink. So here are a few pictures in artificial light.

Regards,

Daniel
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Interesting Pilot badge but its S&L post war. The hardware, the rivets and the wreath are 57er style. The hardware is identical to 57er retired, glider etc....
                Here a S&L without the swas and another not damage I have in file with the swas and they are almost identical.

I wouldn't mind one in my collection is the price is cheap, i like it.

Seb
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Sebastien T; 12-16-2013, 05:02 PM.
                The German Luftwaffe Pilot and Combined Pilot and Observer Badges of WWII 1933-1945
                Volume I & Volume II

sigpic

Now Available
                www.luftwaffepilotbook@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastien T View Post
                  Interesting Pilot badge but its S&L post war. The hardware, the rivets and the wreath are 57er style.
                  I was not trying to pitch these as wartime originals. See:

Originally posted by Nordmark View Post
                  Though I´m pretty sure this thread won´t add anything new to these controversial (to say the least) most likely S&L badges, some might find it interesting anyway.
                  Originally posted by Sebastien T View Post
                  Interesting Pilot badge but its S&L post war. The hardware, the rivets and the wreath are 57er style.
                  To simple for my taste. There are quite a few unanswered questions regarding these.

For me these pieces remain somewhat fascinating...

Regards,

Daniel

Comment

Hardware comparaison
                    Attached Files
                    The German Luftwaffe Pilot and Combined Pilot and Observer Badges of WWII 1933-1945
                    Volume I & Volume II

sigpic

Now Available

Comment

Originally posted by Nordmark View Post

For me these pieces remain somewhat fascinating..
                      No I know Daniel just showing their close relation. That one is fascinating and honeslty i like it very much they must be not common cause I saw only 2 so far.

Seb
                      Volume I & Volume II

sigpic

Now Available

Comment

Were period examples constructed like this as well with regard to the rivits? The rivet is soldered on as in this example? Maybe with a back plate? Never seen a period example de-constructed. Assume there would be marks for where to attach the rivits or was each badge fitted individually?

Comment

Hi Daniel,

Interesting S&L Pilot Badge, its not often we get to see these semi-hollow eagles. Reminds me of the Type "C" S&L Para badges, which were also made from Cupal. I have been told these date to the 1970s, but I don't know if that is confirmed.

Its cool to see the eagle off the wreath so we can see exactly how the rivets were attached. Thanks for showing this interesting example.

Tom
                          Attached Files
                          If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                          [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                          Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by rfleming32 View Post
                            Were period examples constructed like this as well with regard to the rivits? The rivet is soldered on as in this example?
                            Hi Richard,

Original, wartime examples (zinc eagles) didn't have backplates for the rivets. Instead, a shallow hole was drilled into the back of the eagle and the rivet soldered inside of it. Here is a good picture of one where the hole was drilled in the wrong place, and then re-drilled in the correct spot.

With these semi-hollow cupal eagles, I guess there wasn't enough depth in the eagle to drill a hole for the rivet, so instead they used the plate.

Tom
                            Attached Files
                            If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                            [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                            Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

That is what I was thinking but never saw an example. Thanks Thomas.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X