Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off Centered Eagles.

Hello,
    Sometimes following the discussions collectors think a off centered eagle is a indication to detect a fake badge,
    you've to be careful with that.
    Sometimes originals have this feature too.
    I'll show you a very blurry picture of a very flat early Assmann pilots badge I once had in my collection,it was before there were any scanners or digital camera's,so the picture is scanned and cropped from a very small old Photograph I still have of it,sorry for that !
    But,despite the bad quality of the pic you can see the eagle is off centered and this is a original badge.

Jos.
    Attached Files

My CEJ looks off center also, thank god you pointed this out
    Jos...I was just about to throw it in the garbage!
    Attached Files

Comment

Saved by the bell !

Comment

OFF CENTERED EAGLES

JOS IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT WHEN SAYING THAT OFF-CENTERED EAGLES ARE ...NO...INDICATION TO A COPY BADGE.
        THIS IS DUE TO THE WAY OF ASSEMBLY PROCEDURES. THE HOLES FOR THE RIVETS AS THE PLACEMENTS OF THESE PINS WATHEVER TYPE WAS DONE BY HAND AND DIFFERENCES ARE TO EXPECT.
        WE ALL LOVE THE JUNCKER PIECES BUT WE OFTEN SEE THESE BADGES WITH THESE FAULTS. JUNCKER WAS FAR FROM THE PERFECT FIRM ON THIS POINT OF VIEW, BUT THEIR PIECES HAVE A CERTAIN "APPEARANCE" OTHER MAKERS DON' T HAVE. I ALSO LIKE THEM MOST.
        PIETER.
        SUUM CUIQUE ...
        sigpic

Comment

Another CEJ off centered
          Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Comment

Interesting thread, and may I say how nice it is to see Pieter posting with us again. Input from such experienced and dedicated collectors as Pieter can only be of great benefit to all.

Isn't it interesting though, how such obvious "imperfections" in clearly original pieces contradict the "German quality control standards would never let such irregularities pass - so it must be fake" type arguments we so often hear ?

Gordon

Comment

Good point Gordon. I seriously think that this notion of precision German manufacturing and finishing is a bit overrated. Oh sure, on some stuff the workmanship is excellent, but certainly not on everything they made.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

I agree. A refreshing and intelligent observation.

IMO, "quality control" was performed by the makers' employees at each step of the operation...NOT by some Oberleutnant with a 10X loupe AFTER the badge was fiinished.

Although I am sure that some random "spot check" of badges was done prior to issue, most quality control was done by the contractor's employees, much as it is done today.

Ever notice those little "file marks" on many badges? Those were put on there by employees whose job was to smooth out the rough edges of the badge and to remove any flaws prior to sending the badge to the next step of the operation.

Most certainly, those employees were instructed to look at the wreaths and eagles very closely and "set aside" any pieces that did not "pass muster". No point in adding the value of a hinge, catch, pin and finish to a badge that was flawed....that would be economically illogical.

Collectors today seem to forget that badges were originally meant to be viewed on somebody's chest from about three feet away....NOT with a 10X loupe or highly magnified digital photogragh.
                Last edited by Lorenzo Brown; 05-19-2002, 09:55 PM.
                Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

edited

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X