Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A dirty bird from Assman

Hello,
    I got this pilot badge from Assmann. From my point of view it is a 3rd pattern withwith ? catch. Opinions are welcome.
    Thanks and best regards
    Winfried
    Attached Files

Maybe dirty but it looks like a good Assmann with tightn up rivets

Andy

Comment

For me is 8a ,like is in the book
      Carlo

Comment

A dirty bird that’s seen plenty of action in its life. Reminds me of the wife

Comment

Very nice textbook worn assmann. Fun fact to see the wreath first drilled hole attempt, clearly not positionned correctly.

Seb
          The German Luftwaffe Pilot and Combined Pilot and Observer Badges of WWII 1933-1945
          Volume I & Volume II

sigpic

Now Available
          www.luftwaffepilotbook@gmail.com

Comment

Nice original Assmann for me as well, also very interesting to me to see the start of the rivet holes, a little peak into Assmann production. They appear to be the exact same depth, making me think Assmann may have had a jig set-up so they would drill both holes at the same exact time, which makes sense and eliminated the need for measuring each time. Very interesting!

I am also trying to see if the catch might be repaired. It looks like the correct material, shape and finish, etc. but I don't think I have ever seen the base so short like this. It may have broken off, the bottom trimmed off then resoldered back onto the badge.

Tom
            If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
            [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
            Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Very nice indeed,

I can only agree with you Tom.
              And we just love these small mistakes in positioning the rivets wrong on the eagle or wrong measuring of the markings on the rivet, because it gives us a small peek-hole into work and production methods.

thanks for sharing.

KR Karsten

Originally posted by Thomas Durante View Post
              Nice original Assmann for me as well, also very interesting to me to see the start of the rivet holes, a little peak into Assmann production. They appear to be the exact same depth, making me think Assmann may have had a jig set-up so they would drill both holes at the same exact time, which makes sense and eliminated the need for measuring each time. Very interesting!

I am also trying to see if the catch might be repaired. It looks like the correct material, shape and finish, etc. but I don't think I have ever seen the base so short like this. It may have broken off, the bottom trimmed off then resoldered back onto the badge.

Tom

"Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value."

Comment

Here is a comparison with an Assmann piece with the same design but with a thin wreath. Weight first 36 g to second 42 g.
                Attached Files

Comment

I come back to my last post, are both the same type from Assmann?
                  Thanks for a short Reply.
                  best regards
                  Winfried

Comment

can anybody tell me an answer to my Questions?
                    Best regards
                    Winfried

Comment

Same type, thickness varies with the assmann just like j2 from juncker. I never saw a catch of that thickness before.

Seb
                      The German Luftwaffe Pilot and Combined Pilot and Observer Badges of WWII 1933-1945
                      Volume I & Volume II

sigpic

Now Available
                      www.luftwaffepilotbook@gmail.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X