Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on Luftwaffe GAB Ground Assault Badge

Hi everyone,

I posted this on the E-Stand and it was pointed out that it may be a Post War S&L fake. It came to me with decent provenance, but I'd like to see what you all think.

Thanks for any input!

Pics
    Attached Files

Comment

These eagle on LWGAB are fake

Seb
      The German Luftwaffe Pilot and Combined Pilot and Observer Badges of WWII 1933-1945
      Volume I & Volume II

sigpic

Now Available
      www.luftwaffepilotbook@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Seb,
          A lot of trouble to go too for a fake badge,I presume the eagle plate that is riveted should have nickel/chrome finish to it as opposed plain zinc?..

Cheers
          Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,

On original most eagle from LWGAB are riveted and you find either zinc or tombak eagle.

Seb
            The German Luftwaffe Pilot and Combined Pilot and Observer Badges of WWII 1933-1945
            Volume I & Volume II

sigpic

Now Available
            www.luftwaffepilotbook@gmail.com

Comment

From what I was told it is a post war S&L which given the history of those badges (from what I've read) it kind of makes sense since I got it from a USGI and supposedly those badges were sold to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastien T View Post
                Hi Bob,

On original most eagle from LWGAB are riveted and you find either zinc or tombak eagle.

Seb
                Hi Seb,
                Thank you for the reply,to me this Zinc eagle looks separately affixed to the zinc frame,too much shadow running around the base of it,i was thinking the finish had been absorbed where as a tombac eagle would hold the finish very well..
                Could you just clarify for me what you are seeing and i am not...thank you

Cheers
                Bob

Comment

A common postwar S&L fake. There is no evidence to suggest S&L made the LGAB during the war; these badges do not appear on the postwar souvenier boards put together after the war by S&L, and the hardware on them has the "1957 scrape" on the pin suggesting they were likely made in the late 50s or early 60s.

S&L and Souval were the biggest suppliers of postwar fakes and souveniers after the war, so its no surprise we sometimes find their fakes directly from the hands of veterans.

Tom
                  If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                  [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                  Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X