Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-Boat

Hi All,

Looking for opinions on this unmarked badge. Had it in my collection for a while, but as I origionally got it from Manions (when I was young and stupid), would appreciate some comments.

Back...
    Attached Files

Comment

No Expert here, But...

Tim C,

Well, I'll go out on a limb being the first to say anything one way or another and Gordon Williamson is probably the guy that will be able to give the best answer.

I don't like it for the following reasons:

- I don't like the bow, it looks rough or deformed on the bottom leading edge.

- The propeller (screw) actually looks like a half-screw.

- The eagle and overall badge seems to lack detail, but it may be the dark quality of the PIC.

- I don't like the hinge.

- Are all those little black spots in the reverse PIC pin holes that might be left over from a casting process?

Tim, I may be and really hope I'm wrong, but the piece appears to be an attempt at a unmarked Schwerin badge. Am I wrong Gordon?
      Tim

Comment

Tim,

I've been sitting comparing with my Schwerin badges and there are too many differences so if it was sold on the basis of being Schwerin I would not be happy with it. Apart from the "droop" to the bow you mention, it seems to me the wing at that side also droops a bit. The hinge is longer and narrower than any I've seen on Schwerins.
        Problem with U-Boat Badges is that several manufacturers badges are virtual clones of each other. The type with solid swastika, wide shield shaped chest typified by FO was also used by several other firms. It could be that another firm used similar styling to Schwerin, but personally with this one, I'd be inclined to caution. I'm not categoricaly suggesting it is a copy, but it is not one I would want to have.

G

Comment

Hi Tim & Gordon.

Thanks for the info, and although some of the details look a lot worse due to the photography, I think I will at least move this to the "iffy" pile.

I actually got this several years ago, and it was a 'bargain', but seems there is more wrong than right with it.

On I go, learning more each time....

Comment

Dear all,

I think this is definitely a fake, coming from the same molds as the Frank & Reif fake. Compare to the F&R fake below.
            -wreathband droop the same
            -eagle the same
            -hinge the same, etc.
            -just the catch is different.

Cheers, Frank H.
            Attached Files
            Cheers, Frank

Comment

reverse F&R fake
              Attached Files
              Cheers, Frank

Comment

Agree?
                Cheers, Frank

Comment

Not a Schwerin

I have to agree with gordon, not a Schwerin piece. Regarding originality no definate answers but I don't particularly like it.

Regards
                  Rob.
                  Regards, Rob
                  Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Hi Frank,

sorry I didn't respond earlier, I have been away for a few days.

I value yours Gordon, Tim and Rob's opinion on this badge, seems I have had some shocking luck with U-boat badges, this is the second one I have found to be a repo. But I accept your and everyone elses opinion, and have moved it into the "gee I wish I was a member here 3 years ago" junk box.

One good thing, I would much rather find out now, than in 10 years, It is important to me that I have the real thing in my collection, and as painful as it is at times, a fake is a fake, and sometimes you have to be a man and chuck a badge out.

So thanks all for the views.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X