BD Publishing

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't the Minesweepers badge with diamonds mentioned on the KM badges section?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why isn't the Minesweepers badge with diamonds mentioned on the KM badges section?

I was going through this site, and noticed that the minesweeperbadge with diamonds is not mentioned as a variant. Is there a special reason for this?

Kind regards,

Maurice

There is only a very small amount of circumstancial, unverified evidence that even a single example of this award was ever bestowed. I have never heard of a single recorded example of this badge with undisputable provenance. It may exist but until proof positive is produced, I suspect most people will consider it like so many other 3rd Reich badges, as no more than a "possible".

Gordon

Comment

I am now in the process of editing the new magazine for the Werkgroep Kriegsmarine. In came in to contact with a German, who's grandfather died on the Minenschiff Juminda. He has written several articles and a Landser heft on this boat.
      On board was Korvettenkapitän Dr.Ing. Karl-Friederich Brill. This man had earned his Knight's cross as commander of the Minenschiff Cobra, and as leader of a group of ships. Under his command several minefields were laid down, among them the Juminda Sperre near Reval, which caused the loss of 130.000 tons russian shipping. Brill also recevied the DK. Later he was active in the Mediterranean.
      The Juminda was sunk by torpedo's of US PT boats on 22.10.43, killing 63 sailors immediately, among them Brill. He received the oakleaves posthume.

This German person is in contact with the sun of the Korvettenkapitän. About half a year after the dead of Brill, the relatives received the Minensuchabzeichen with diamonds. It is still in posession of the family. In this Landserheft is a large picture of the Abzeichen.

Kind regards,

Maurice

Comment

In his latest magazine, Patzwell has published that the two accepted originals he had in his books have moved into the "probable fake" area for him.
        And with that... bang goes the only ones I would have bought.

In general, there is not an auction in Germany this last year that does not have a diamonds navy badge of some sort... boy, I must be doing something wrong not to have one ;-))

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X