Holy Smokes another u boat badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy Smokes another u boat badge

Well im batting a 1000 today with the e boat badge i posted being a dud. I maybe a little gun shy but opinions on this would be great. The badge it self looks pretty good, although i dont have another schwerin to compare it too. The pin ,catch, and maker mark seem to be off a little for my liking which brings me here. I still have the original shipping box, i can just return to sender and HEY no return shipping costs.

Thanks again, Dale
    Attached Files

back
    Attached Files

Comment

maker mark
      Attached Files

Comment

catch
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dale,

From the photos IMO this is a dud and you should return ASAP to get your money back. It looks like the fake "Cyclops" Schwerin U-boat.

Many things wrong with this including the finish, eagles head, swastika. pin and catch. Also the makers mark is not particularly sharp.

Regards
          Rob
          Regards, Rob
          Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Ergg,,Iam getting better with badges thanks to Frank and Phillipe. The head on the eagle would send me running, and the inner wings along with the sloppiness on the stamping.
            Iam Uncle Sam
            That’s who Iam
            Been hiding out
            In a rock and roll band

Comment

Hi Dale have to agree dont care much for this award. All the best

Comment

Well....thanks guys. I had my concerns with this badge but as always feel better asking. This is what happens when are away from internet service for too long.

Does anyone know the story behind this reproduction? More cave creek alchemy?

Dale

Comment

U-boat

Hi Dale,
                  I got in late on this one, but I will add my .02 cents (for what that is worth). I am sorry it is not good in my opinion. I would not be happy with that example. Please e-mail me at jbeltram@qwest.net and I can send you scans of both types of Schwerin U-boat badge (in my collection). I have an example with round wire catch and an example with flat C silver metal catch (both hallmarked).
                  Regards,
                  Jody
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Jody Beltram; 03-21-2005, 10:22 PM.

Comment

I concur with my collecting colleagues.... I know this must be really frustrating for you but keep looking!!!! These pretty badges are getting really tough to find!!

Best regards,
                    T

Comment

Hi Dale!

Like Terrance stated, don't give up and get overly frustrated here. Actually, your badge is a better made piece compared to some others that previous collectors have fallen to in the past, IMO.

You take pretty nice PICS and I give you credit there, but if I may make a suggestion; concentrate on a more straight-on approach to show the full badge and not have any angles, especially when asking for opinions on authenticity. In this case, the eye is not that clear in your PIC. The "Cyclops" fake is clearly different and the eye actually looks like a large divit when compared to an original piece. Only making a recommendation for future reference to help get accurate opinions. Sometimes shadows and angles can really add to the confusion.

Here's some PICS of one of mine for comparsion. Keep in mind that Schwerin utilized both the flat and round wire "C" style catches on original pieces. I also recommend searching here on the forum for old threads as the "cyclops" has been brought up before in detail and hopefully those PICS are still available.

Good luck, these are really beautiful pieces with fantastic firegilding!
                      Tim
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Another shot...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Last one.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Tim. I wont be giving up on collecting, its to satisfying. I was telling Frank that i had my tantrum a few years ago with the fakes but with help from guys like yourself and others on the forum i will continue enjoying and learning about collecting. And i appreciate the compliment on the pics, it justifies the new camera when you avoid a costly reproduction. And um not to mention family pics and other junk like that.

Dale

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X