1st pattern e boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st pattern e boat

Well fellas, thougths on this e boat badge? It comes from a reputable dealer with the mbg but it has me guessing.

Thanks, Dale

back

Comment

catch
      Attached Files

Comment

maker mark
        Attached Files

Comment

E-boat

Hello,
          Sorry to say, but that badge is bad-really bad. It looks like it was cast. Look at the total lack of detail to it's obverse. Please compare to the original in my collection. Notice the detail and fire-gilting on my piece.
          Sorry,
          Jody
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice badge Jody!!!

I agree, the lack of detail in the oakleaves is consistent with the oakleaves I have in a fake HSF cast I picked up in the early 70's.

Best regards,
            T

Comment

Ya well i had my had my serious doubts but had to ask. It has that appearance of sandcasting ive seen before to add to the mix.

Thanks guys, Dale

Comment

Very bad..looks more like a "mudcasting".
                Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Mudcasting like that one, looks like it has been made up perhaps with an original pin etc but the setup is wrong for this badge.

Can I ask what reputable dealer is this

Rob
                  Regards, Rob
                  Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

You know on second thoughts, although the details on the front are awful the name on the back is quite sharp. It would be interesting to get the dimensions and weight.

Could it be a relic piece which has been sand blasted to clean it and then over polished on the front to remove the blasting marks?

At the end of the day though even if original it is still pretty rough and not worth a great deal, whats the price?

Rob.
                    Last edited by rhudspith; 03-21-2005, 08:17 AM.
                    Regards, Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rhudspith
                      You know on second thoughts, although the details on the front are awful the name on the back is quite sharp. It would be interesting to get the dimensions and weight.

Could it be a relic piece which has been sand blasted to clean it and then over polished on the front to remove the blasting marks?

At the end of the day though even if original it is still pretty rough and not worth a great deal, whats the price?

Rob.
                      Hi Rob, the dimensions are the typical 1-2mm small in all aspects of the badge.
                      I should be careful as it was bought from an idividual who claimed it came from a dealer. I will be more cautious of my descriptions.

Thanks to everyone for the interest.

Comment

Dale,

1 to 2mm is too much and I believe would indicate a cast copy. Does anyone else agree?

Rob
                        Regards, Rob

Comment

Definatly. Although I thought your first analysis could also be right (ground dug) 1-2mm would be to much for my peace of mind.

Skip
                          LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X