Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destroyer badge...opinions.

Hi all...again!

As I seem to be on a roll,what about this Destroyer badge? Is it ok or a repro? I have tried a search and have found a similar original badge but would like some other opinions.The badge is vaulted and a zinker.
    The retaining catch faces the "wrong" way!

Cheers

Dave
    Attached Files

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Anyone??

Comment

Hi Dave, have been studying this award for awhile, and believe it to be an original. However there are points that worry me some although i must say this could be down to wear. The water in between 5 0 clock and 6 seems to be void of detail? IS there a door to the ships superstructure?. Also the forward gun turrent seems to lack the detail that i believe these awards to have but like i have already said that could be wear. Finally the pin seems a little short as the ones i have seen extend down beyond the wreath. Original i would say but i am curious to see what others make of it. All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg
          Hi Dave, have been studying this award for awhile, and believe it to be an original. However there are points that worry me some although i must say this could be down to wear. The water in between 5 0 clock and 6 seems to be void of detail? IS there a door to the ships superstructure?. Also the forward gun turrent seems to lack the detail that i believe these awards to have but like i have already said that could be wear. Finally the pin seems a little short as the ones i have seen extend down beyond the wreath. Original i would say but i am curious to see what others make of it. All the best.
          Hi mrg,
          The scan for some reason hasn't picked up the detail very well,yes there is definitely a door which is very clear on the badge but can't be seen on the scan(give me a sec,I will try a photo!)
          The water is also well detailed.

Anymore opinions?

Dave

Comment

Dear Dave,

I had one from the same maker a couple of years ago. Then, I did not like it and thought it was a fake badge. Today, I am not so sure anymore, it MIGHT be an original, ugly badge. I especially did not care for the way the cutouts were made. I think these badges will always remain questionable and it is very hard to put a definite "good" or "bad" tag on them. Here is the one I had, apart from the non-cut-out space between eagle´s head and wing, they are the same:
            Attached Files
            Cheers, Frank

Comment

rv
              Attached Files
              Cheers, Frank

Comment

Attached Files
                Cheers, Frank

Comment

Attached Files
                  Cheers, Frank

Comment

Cheers for that Frank,yep they are definitely the same alright!

Here are a couple of photos of the badge.

Dave
                    Attached Files

Comment

close up
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

they both resembles the SH.u.Co Destroyers but with wrongpositioned reverse setups to me. I don´t like them to be honest!
                        Regards
                        Hans N

Don´t throw away your fake WB´s! Get in touch with me.
                        I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

Hi all, have to say this one had me stumped and was definately a hard call to make, have seen ones like these on different web sites but with longer pins. Must say thou cant see the shuco connection, the detail is much crisper on the shuco than the award shown. OOps have just seen Franks, still slight differences thou. All the best.

Comment

I see too many negative points on these badges:

Soft outline of wreath;
                            Lack of finishing details, filemarks;
                            Seems to be no authentic ageing. Maybe the scan, but the strike looks weak compared to other zinc badges. Compare below to an FO destroyer.

Very questionable badges IMO.
                            Attached Files
                            Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Agree with Lorenzo. FO is not the strongest of strikes but its miles better than on the comparison piece.

The bubbling on the back of Franks looks very convincing. I wonder if its really zinc or if they mixed some sand in with the gold colour.

Skip
                              LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X