Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e'boat badge from e'stand- opinion pls.

Kind hour Gentlemen.
    I want to buy this sign, and I want to know opinion of Colleagues- everything is good with this sign?
    Many thanks for your Attention to my thread
    Cheers, Re.
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=919902

Nice badge

Comment

These can be tricky but it's a good one IMO. Please wait for Norm or Hubert to reply though.

Comment

It's good.

Cheers,Martin.

Comment

Guys, Thanks for your Professional opinions

Comment

That s-boat was discussed previously here:
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=901007

The dark finish on the periphery of the reverse and on the waves on the obverse looks a bit unusual as noted there, but it's certainly an original badge.

Best regards,
            ---Norm

Comment

Agreed, nice worn Schwerin s-boot
              Cheers,
              Hubert

Comment

Based on the pics provided it appears OK and I was about to contact the seller about possibly buying it but thought I'd better take a closer look and compare with a no questions original.

That evaluation raised a lot of little red flags for me. There appear to be a lot of fine obverse detail variations on the example in question compared to the original (from the German veteran) I was using for comparison (eagle detail, wave detail, bridge region, flag region, torpedo tube region, etc) . The overall finish remains a big question mark for me as well (I was not aware of the previous discussion and I've been through that, where finish was raised as an issue and I accept variations can occur in the finishing process). The round-edged main pin and general shape of the main pin is also a big concern for me. My biggest concern is that, from the pics and despite the badge appearing to be worn, I can not see tombak on the obverse.

For me, I would need to hand examine this example, in additional to getting accurate measurements and a weight.

Regards
                Mike
                Regards
                Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Badge is ORIGINAL

All e stand rules apply..

Measurements and weights are 100% correct and in addition badge is ex Giel VW.

Comment

Here's a comparison of the badge under discussion (above) to a more typical example (below). The finish certainly has an atypical appearance, as mentioned in the previous thread. I haven't yet been able to find another example with quite that finish on the reverse. I think almost all of the obverse gilding and all of the white frosting are gone from the reverse, yet the waves are dark and the dark finish extends too far upward over the deck flag. I still think it's probably an original heavily worn example, possibly factory refinished?

If it was previously in Giel's hands, perhaps he could comment as well?

Best regards,
                    ---Norm
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Norm F; 07-24-2017, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Here are a couple of more heavily worn examples for comparison.
                      Attached Files

Comment

IMO original s-boot but could have been refinished sometime in the past.
                        Cheers,
                        Hubert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X