First Auxiliary Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Auxiliary Cruiser

I have always found these badges to be interesting, just never got around to getting one until now. Tell me what you think.

Thanks,
    Pat
    Attached Files

3 4
    Attached Files

Comment

5 6
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Pat,

That's a post-war Auxiliary Cruiser badge from Rodolf Souval, Vienna. It's quite likely that the planchet and hinge/pin are wartime leftovers but the catch and obverse finish are clearly post-war. The Viking ship should always be the same colour as the wreath.

I would guess from around the early 1960's.

Best regards,
        ---Norm

Comment

My guess would be post war assembled too.

There appears to be a flaw on the sail that extends from the left arm of the standing figure.

I do not recall seeing that on "period" awards ?

And as mentioned by Norm,the ship should also be gilded.

Cheers,Martin.
          Attached Files

Comment

I purchased this badge here on the estand several years back from a fellow forum member, I will try to research who it was. Since I sold Pat the badge I will certainly make this right but I am upset and confused. I was sure it had been discussed here but I must be not recalling it correctly.
            I am very embarrassed.
            Eric
            I have refunded Pat's money until we reach a price for this one that is realistic given it's postwar status.
            Last edited by ValhallaMilitaria; 07-03-2017, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin W View Post
              My guess would be post war assembled too.

There appears to be a flaw on the sail that extends from the left arm of the standing figure.

I do not recall seeing that on "period" awards ?

And as mentioned by Norm,the ship should also be gilded.

Cheers,Martin.
              Hi Martin,

I think the numerous linear "flaws" on the ship may be just thick streaks of grey paint?

I suspect it was an original wartime planchet, hinge and main pin, and only the catch and finish give it away as post-war assembly.

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Attached Files

Comment

Every day is a learning day here on WAF.

Comment

Norm,

You have a good eye.

Using a finger nail and lightly touching across it, the line that extends from the Viking's shoulder is a pronounced and detectable raised surface line. The others I couldn't detect, as they are just too fine.

Everyone thanks for your input and Eric for being a stand-up guy.

Thanks,
                  Pat

Comment

Another thing to look for on "period" RS Hilfskreuzer awards is that the gilding on the ship extended down to the bow waves.The only single piece construction HK award i know of that had the bow waves gilded.

Here are a couple of examples i have and traces of the gilding can clearly be seen on the bow waves.

Cheers,Martin.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Martin W; 07-03-2017, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin W View Post
                      Another thing to look for on "period" RS Hilfskreuzer awards is that the gilding on the ship extended down to the bow waves.The only single piece construction HK award i know of that had the bow waves gilded.

Here are a couple of examples i have and traces of the gilding can clearly be seen on the bow waves.

Cheers,Martin.
                      I agree with Martin, traces of the gilt on the bow waves can be also seen on my bagde posted here: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...02&postcount=8
                      Cheers,
                      Hubert

Comment

So, to reiterate, it is a 100% postwar piece? and I am out 400 bucks...ah well.
                        Thank you to everyone here who took the time to post their views on this piece.
                        Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X