Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SHuCo destroyer opinions please

Hi Guys

I got this in and have never seen one with a wide pin like this, the surface texture of the badge is a bit grainy but the edges don't show any sign of casting.

Please could you let me have your opinions on this piece - has anyone seen one like this real or fake?

Many thanks fin advance

Patrick
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Patrick,

In my opinion that's a fake, circa 1970. You can see that it has the hollow hinge block typical of that era. In fact, the grainy texture, finish and hinge/main pin combo look very much like this "Friedrich Keller" fake S-Boat.

Best regards,
      ---Norm
      Attached Files

Comment

Just realized I had an image on file of just the reverse of another example of this reproduction (with a different catch) which has some of the same surface flaws on the badge and even on the main pin. I guess the main pin was cast as well.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the comparisons Norm I agree, this Shuco destroyer is a fake
          Cheers,
          Hubert

Comment

Thanks Norm for the very detailed assessment, I hadn't seen this particular copy previously but it is indeed a very good match to the Keller E-boat. It will go back to where it came from- thank you again.

Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick W View Post
              I hadn't seen this particular copy previously but it is indeed a very good match to the Keller E-boat.
              In fact, looking at the other SHuCo fake compared to the "Keller", you can just make out the same irregular linear flaw in the main pin -- definitely from the same shop.
              Attached Files

Comment

Just like to playing the devils advocate here.

Is it a coincidence that both Friedrich Keller and Sohni, Heubach u Co both were located in Oberstein? This could explain the hardwarematch!

What is it that makes a hollow hinge fake? Infact there are hollow hinges on period pieces.

As for the surface marks they are no a surpize to me. SHuCo IAB´s for example has never had any appealing reverse in terms of smothness.
                http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=SHuCo+family
                Last edited by Hans N; 09-13-2016, 06:21 AM.
                Regards
                Hans N

Don´t throw away your fake WB´s! Get in touch with me.
                I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

Hi Hans,

The Keller is one of a series of fakes with the same mark as seen in this thread:
                  http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=803313

And the same faker sometimes used other marks like "G.H. Osang, Dresden" so there's no particular Oberstein connection to their production.

As for the hollow hinge, they're different from the wartime hollow hinges used in Pforzheim and Dresden. Wartime hinges are much more compressed while the cavity is much larger in late 60's/early seventies onwards. In these fake PABs you can also see that the hinges are combined with typical 1970's pins and wide catches. A golden era for the fakers...

Best regards,
                  ---Norm
                  Attached Files

Comment

Quick comparison: wartime hollow hinge above (Schickle-design Minesweeper) and 1970's hollow hinge below (on a '57 GAB75).
                    Attached Files

Comment

I just realized there was another example of the "Keller" S-Boat posted just recently with exactly the same setup and catch as the fake "SHuCo" Destroyer.
                      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=877111
                      Small world.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here's a 1970's cast fake of the S&L '57-form U-Boat badge with a spurious L/21 marking that has the same cast wide-pin and hollow hinge as the fake Destroyer and S-Boat badges.

The 1970s are sometimes described as the heyday for collectors when things were inexpensive, but it was certainly a huge heyday for the fakers as well.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X