Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old, Salty Minesweeper

Hello to all,
    I just got this Minesweeper Badge by Rudolf Karneth today. It is void of finish to the wreath and eagle, but I still think it looks rather nice.
    Best regards! Tom
    Mihi libertas necessest!

The reverse still has most of the original gold wash intact. (I wish the front had this much finish.)
    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Yeah .. I love salty. Just like it's brother

Comment

Hi Tom,

Nice quality Minesweeper. Is it me, or does the obverse look like it never received any finish at all!? I do not see a trace of it at all. Its also suprising that the reverse seems to have kept 90% of its finish, but the front 0% .

Either way, I always liked the Karneth minesweepers, I have one myself. The quality of the hinge soldering always impressed me; its so good it looks like it was stamped as part of the badge.

Tom D.
        If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
        [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
        Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Hey! with all the crap repos out, A real one is a real one!!!

Comment

It look as if the minesweeper badge had have a hard life...
            Very nice...

Originally posted by tyanacek
            Hello to all,
            I just got this Minesweeper Badge by Rudolf Karneth today. It is void of finish to the wreath and eagle, but I still think it looks rather nice.
            Best regards! Tom

Comment

Thanks to all for the comments, and nice Minesweeper Badge Darrell.

Hello Tom D.,
              You're right. Not a trace of finish to the front at all. Just some traces of finish in the recessed areas of the inner and outer wreath edges. Not sure what to make of it either, but since the reverse is finished, the obverse must have had a finish to it at one time. Maybe just prolonged exposure to the elements stripped most of it away, while the reverse was more protected from the elements being pinned to the uniform. I also think that a previous owner may have cleaned and buffed this badge numerous times, and that the remaining finish was eventually removed completely. The person doing this probably only worried about cleaning the front (because the front is what they wanted to be nice and shiny) and they left the reverse alone. As far as the hinges go, you are right about that too. I still look at how they are attached, and would almost swear that they are an integral part of the badge and not a separate attachment. A very neat job indeed. Since you have obviously looked close at these hinges, I'm sure you have also noticed the little railroad track tool marks that are found on both sides of the hinge. Probably from a tool that held the hinge in place while the pin was being attached. The tool also looks like it peened over the ends on the hinge pin to keep it in place. Very clever!
              This picture below shows the tool marks that I am referring to on the side of the hinge.
              Best regards! Tom
              Attached Files
              Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Here is another R.K. Minesweeper Badge. This one I have owned for at least twenty years. This one still has most of it's finish on the obverse, but only traces of finish on the reverse edges, (probably spillover from the front). The reverse of this one was probably left in unfinished zinc.
                Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

reverse:
                  Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                  X