• Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSF badge F.o. zink

Any chance this is OK?
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

It's an FO variant with the cast in fittings and it looks OK to me.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I'm not a fan of this badge, I'm afraid. At the least, it's been messed with, and at worst a very clever fake -- I can't tell which.

1) The main pin is wrong -- wrong tooling mark at the top, the tension foot plate is bent incorrectly and the taper of the point is wrong. You can still see the indentation in the reverse which the original foot plate had created (or from the original upon which a casting was created).

2) The granular gilt finish on the replacement pin matches the remnants on the rest of the badge which is the wrong texture for Orth badges, so the badge has been refinished.

3) Finally, on the obverse you can see that the mast arm on the left is too short compared with normal originals -- either it's been ground down for no good reason or it's a fake.

I suppose it could be a worn repaired original that's been filed down, pin replaced and refinished but a lot of work to do for what reason? Probably safer to steer clear of this one.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Attached Files

Comment

I agree with Norm. The ship looks like it was bashed out of a tin can top.

John

Comment

I agree, main pin is wrong, the finish is wrong, some cutouts are wrong and the overall quality of the casting is very bad compared to original FO. I would not buy it, no matter the price is.
            Here is mine, later variant.
            Cheers,
            Hubert
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey Norm,
              I like the way you showed the difference between the fake and the original with red and green arrows and circles. I am new at collecting and your way shows exactly what is wrong with the badge. Really helps a newbie like myself.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X