No announcement yet.

US GI bringback KM lot/French made badges with cartons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intriguing. There is indeed a passing similarity of that style of eagle hardware to the hardware on the "French-made" zinc KM badges, which makes one wonder if the metal breast eagle is of French origin.

It wouldn't be the first time this was suggested: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...00#post6312900

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files

Comment

Aaaaahhh... the French made badges.... how many discussions have we had on those.

I remember the very early forum days... for many it was the first time many collectors from the US ever encountered collectors from europe... and vice versa.

At the time many many European collectors did not believe in Dachau SS Items... and on the US side even some of the most advanced US dealers thought Gold CCBT clasps with a tophook were a fantasy product made by German dealers.

All that is straightened out...

Believers in French KM badges were also divided, but not geographically, half the guys believed, I was in the half that did not.

The amount of examples with origin shown over the years lead me to believe that they are wartime... but IMHO opinion they are not official.

To be official we would have to believe in a huge exception, that for some reason the Germans decided to let a French company make badges... as opposed to a French company deciding to just go ahead and do it...

Most guys in the Military who have been stationed overseas have seen local cottage industry catering to occupation/stationed troops. German companies made US badges in 1919 and in 1945.... In most French colonies badges were made and sold to French soldiers... and French medal companies have hada history of making badges for foreign countries... So my as always humble opinion is that a couple of French companies took the logical step of making and supplying German sailors. Most or many people would not recognise a "french made" badge once it is on the tunic, and even as a souvenier they would have been cool. When soldiers get bored they spend money.... I remember ordering sterling silver dogtags in Tchad.

For me these are like the Vietnam theater made patches and Tunics the US Army wore when overseas...

Just my 2c....

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Boonzaier View Post
        Aaaaahhh... the French made badges.... how many discussions have we had on those.

I remember the very early forum days... for many it was the first time many collectors from the US ever encountered collectors from europe... and vice versa.

At the time many many European collectors did not believe in Dachau SS Items... and on the US side even some of the most advanced US dealers thought Gold CCBT clasps with a tophook were a fantasy product made by German dealers.

All that is straightened out...

Believers in French KM badges were also divided, but not geographically, half the guys believed, I was in the half that did not.

The amount of examples with origin shown over the years lead me to believe that they are wartime... but IMHO opinion they are not official.

To be official we would have to believe in a huge exception, that for some reason the Germans decided to let a French company make badges... as opposed to a French company deciding to just go ahead and do it...

Most guys in the Military who have been stationed overseas have seen local cottage industry catering to occupation/stationed troops. German companies made US badges in 1919 and in 1945.... In most French colonies badges were made and sold to French soldiers... and French medal companies have hada history of making badges for foreign countries... So my as always humble opinion is that a couple of French companies took the logical step of making and supplying German sailors. Most or many people would not recognise a "french made" badge once it is on the tunic, and even as a souvenier they would have been cool. When soldiers get bored they spend money.... I remember ordering sterling silver dogtags in Tchad.

For me these are like the Vietnam theater made patches and Tunics the US Army wore when overseas...

Just my 2c....
        Hi,
        Lovely badges think I'm now a believer ,Still don't believe in the top hook ccc.
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Boonzaier View Post
          I agree. And we have made a bit of progress over the years of discussion in that I think few if any serious collectors still believe they were official awards.

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X