Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Schwerin case question

Hi guys,
    Just quick question about small Schwerin blue case . Is this type a generic case and can be used for any Schwerin Navy badges, like HSF, CAB,etc. or it's strictly for Blockade Breaker badge?
    Thanks in advance,
    Andrei
    Attached Files

Hi Andrei,

That's a good question and I don't think the answer is known for sure, but we can apply some reasoning based on observation.

1) Certainly they're almost always seen with the Blockade breaker so it's safe to say it's the proper case for that award.

2) Rarely we see other Schwerin badges in these cases but usually from dealer's sites, not so much in veteran groupings, so it's quite possible they were put together afterwards.

3) Maybe they were available at retail shops for private purchase, but in that case I would have expected to see an even wider variety of awards in them. Or maybe other badges (like the Fleet badge) could be special ordered from Schwerin along with minis in these cases but it was rarely done?

4) Finally, as an official award piece only the Blockade Breaker makes sense since the case includes the space for the 9 mm mini and no other type of mini was ever an official KM award - only private purchase.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Last edited by Norm F; 03-29-2016, 08:12 PM.

Comment

I believe this type of blue case was available for private purchase on KM awards.

I have seen examples of the Fleet and Auxiliary Cruiser badges with their mini's displayed in this type of case.

If you look at the wear pattern on the interior of this particular case you will notice that it did not hold the circular Blockade Breaker badge IMO,but likely another type of KM award.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin W View Post
        I believe this type of blue case was available for private purchase on KM awards.

I have seen examples of the Fleet and Auxiliary Cruiser badges with their mini's displayed in this type of case.
        Certainly possible. Skip previously posted this set with the earliest variant Fleet badge and two minis. A rare combination to be sure.

But the fact that we've only seen Schwerin badges in combinations of this sort suggests perhaps the cases weren't sold separately in "mix-and-match" combinations but only with some Schwerin products? I've seen a Schwerin Minesweeper combined with another maker's mini in such a case but wasn't convinced they originally came together. And if they were really sold completely separate I think we'd have seen all sorts of combinations by now.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Norm F; 03-29-2016, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Forgot to mention that this case was mostly associated with the zinc full-size Blockade Breaker rather than the Tombak version which makes sense since the PK expressly forbid wear of the larger minis by military personnel in mid-1943, making it likely to combine the 9 mm mini with the zinc blockade breaker after that time.

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Last edited by Norm F; 03-31-2016, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys for this explanation.

Comment

Hey, this is odd. I just realized that the image of the open case in the opening post is the exact same case that was posted along with a fake Fleet badge and mini by TobyR for discussion back in 2008 here:
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...05#post2979305

And the photo of the exterior of the case in the opening post is of a different example from that one.

Andrei, I guess you were just pulling some random photos of this type of case?

Anyway, that accounts for Martin's observation that the impression on the interior of the case didn't look like it was left by a Blockade Breaker.

Best regards,
              ---Norm

Comment

Yes Norm, I just pulling some random photos of this type of case as an examples.

Comment

I picked up a case like this from a veteran with a fleet service badge in it. That was years ago. To give you some idea I paid $8.00 for it.

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X